Tidal River report

Norfolkdipper

Got there Thursday evening, having made a mistake, to start the weekend. Went to get the bait at about 4pm. Then came the mistake, got the timing wrong & had to crawl out of the city, due to the traffic. ( message to self, go earlier next time <_< ). So it was getting dark when I arrived, so just had enough light to set up the bivvy & 1 rod. By which time it was dark, really country dark. Had a few casts, to no avail, but at least I now knew the river was there. After stripping weed every retrieve, I decided on an early night & dawn start. Well that was the plan, so set up the camp bed, had supper & then climbed in, only for the bed to collapse :angry: . Slept in car. :huh:

Friday am

Woke at 6am & felt fired up :D:P . Went back to the bank & got a shock. The bank was a cattle slope filled with huge boulders, so no option, had to move camp. Which was the best thing that could happen. After re-setting everything, settled down to fish.

7am, Set -up 3 rods all maggot feeders, on link swivels for easy change, First signs were great as casted out the right hand rod & started to load middle rod. By wjhich time the first rod was bending like mad. So had to quick cast the second rod & grab the first one. Struck into a nice roach , of about 8oz & guess what, the other rod was pinging, put the roach into the keepnet & dropped the rod on the bank. Second strike & a very clean, 1lb silver bream.

8am, eventually got the 3 rods in, then as usual it slowed down for a while. Then one by one the pinging started. Trouble was all I brought in were gudgeon & ruffe, but at least I knew fish were feeding. So time to make up some ground bait :- Base mix was 'Dutch master' groundbait, 1/2 a bag. 1/2 bag of bream mix White crumb 1/2 a bag. Frenzied particle mix 1 tin & 1/4 jar of frenzied hemp for the liquid content as well. Just enough to wet the mix nicely, stirred it & then added 1 tin tuna flake & juices. Set aside for 1/2 hour, Set up a 4th rod with a method feeder only on it, using this to get the g-bait out to where I needed it. After about 10 casts into a tight area, re-loaded to maggot feeders & cast into the same spot.

10am. Started to get little pings, but still bringing in the same fish. The next rod went & I casually picked it up & struck, thump!!! Eventually landed a 2lb silver bream, had my hands full of rod & l-net as another rod really pinged. So panic set in, landed the one I had & kept watching the other rod. It went queit for a few seconds, so I thought I had lost it. How wrong I was, it was resting before we did battle. Thinking it had gone, I slowly started to reel it in, to reload again. It was like dragging in a rig loaded with weed, a huge deadweight, til it woke up.....Then the fight began. (I have a habit of setting the drag too soft, this time I was glad I did). Holding the reel with three fingers while tightening the drag is a fine art, I learnt. Managed to get it re-set & then concentrated again on the fish. The line was slowly coming onto the reel, then stripping off again, a good fight. Having the landing net at water's edge is helpful. Started to get more line on the reel & my confidence rose. Eventually the water erupted & a large black backed bream showed it's self. I can say here my heart was pounding. After a lot of to & froing, I got the upper hand. The bream was now just 2 foot from the net. Pushing the net forward with my foot, it was ready. Carefully lifting the handle with my foot, I got into 'netting' position. Bringing the fish carefully to the net, thinking ' Nearly there'. I brought the bream to the lip of the net, close enough to see the size & colours, only for it to touch the net & 'bye bye' it shook the hook & was gone....... In my eyes, that was a catch. It was about 8lb, my PB bream. I then noticed both other rods were pinging around, nearly jumpimg off the rests, each bringing in 1-2lb bream. So, another layer of groundbait mix went in, by which time I needed a break, kettle on time for coffee.

11am Got back to seat & re-loaded rods. Casted out & relaxed to enjoy my coffee, stupid idea :lol: , here we go again. For the next hour, I continuosly brought in 8oz - 1lb roach & rudd, more gudgeon & some 4-6oz dace. So first morning & 5 species caught.

12 noon Coffee now cold, I slowly sipped away, looking towrads the keep net, thinking I had down well. I then noticed the net was 'dry', as the tide had receeded so far. I had not option but to get muddy feet, as I rushed to empty the net into what water was left. My guess weight was about 15lb of fish released. When the tide turned, there must have been a foot of water over the keepnet, with the tide still rising.Casting right under were the boats come through, was effective. Seems as the boats passed overhead, the fish bite.

1-4pm All gone quiet now, So I changed bait to worms on one rod & (tutti fruiti) sweetcorn on second rod, leaving maggots on the third. Of the three, only the maggot got a reaction, but back to the gudgeon again.

5pm Starting to cloud over & getting very dark. Soon turns to rain. This seems to have been the trigger the fish needed, but not what I needed. I remained there,getting soaked through, gradually getting bite after bite. It was a challenge, how wet do you get, when the fish are bitting? Well I lasted til 6.30pm & had to give in. The rain was now pretty hard, the decision was made & unforunately it was to leave. The thought of wet clothes through the night & sleeping in the car, was to much to look forward to. So on the first full day, I had - 5 species, 1 PB & learnt a lot. Tomorrow is another day. Onl;y wish I had water proofs, so I could have stayed, as fish really turned on by the rain.

Saturday. Awoke at home to a lovely sunny dry day. Cleared the car of the camping gear & just had the tackle. With the very wet bivvy, hanging in the garage, I set off again. I originally went to the R. Yare again, but at Cringleford, only for it to be totally weeded up. So changed to the R. Wensum at Hellesdon mill. Both in Norwich.

7am. The water here is crystal clear, fast flowing & gravel bottom. So clear in fact, I could see the fish right under the rod tip. I tried throwing different loose bait in, initially the fish were scared. Then as a hand full of maggots went in, they attcked, clearing them all before they landed on the bottom. my tactics were set for the day, to use just 2 rods, on maggot feeders again. With the water just under 2ft deep, it was careful casting required. mostly under arm, gently swinging it in. This resulted in species 6, a nice chub of about 12oz. Then once again it went quiet. So I changed to a float rig, with a 'stumpy' float. Shot right under the float, with a long length of line,(about 18"), then the hook length. So the bait would appear to be loose feed behind the float. you know it works, the fish were fooled & sport began again. Dace & roach mostly, with (would you believe it) gudgeon again & now Ruffe (species 7). This was actually harder than the tidal river. Fished to just after 2pm.

Over all, I enjoyed the whole weekend up til then. Got home about 4pm & was asllep by 5pm, trying to watch tv. When I woke, I was glad to be home as today, was to be a wet day. When I got up this morning, it was dry & sunny. Only now at 2.30pm has it started raining. So a day lost. But you know what, I am very happy with how things worked out.

Now believe the Yare at Postwick would be a great 'fish-in' for next spring / summer !!!!!!!! Maybe the weekend of 22nd of June ?????

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

A great seesion. Congratulations on the PB bream!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A nice report, but surely you can't regard touching the edge of the landing net a catch :huh:? My personal rule is if I don't have the fish under sufficient control to put it into a theoretical keepnet then it doesn't count.

Edited by WickerDave

Forgot that i caught my first chub at Hellesdon mill. About 12oz. As regards the lost bream, I had done the work so in my eyes it was a catch.

The river, ( at Postwick), is about 50-60m wide, has a shelf to about midway across, to 10'. After that the boat traffic has dug out a deep trench,( as traffic both ways stays on the far side), which fills with large fish. Much more than the near side. Although, just beyond the weed line there is a small drop, offering roach, dace & smaller fish, just right for a whip as only 3-5m out. So I intend on getting a whip next time I go there. The bank is part boarded, for about 100m & rest is natural with trees & reed beds. So the peg choice is varied, as is the challenging water.

Postwick Fish-in????

I would like to know if anyone, (provisionally), would like me to arrange a 'fish-in' there, for 22nd & 23rd June 2013. There is enough space for upto 10 anglers & parking is at the bank. As well as the usual suspects, there are rumoured to be :- Cats to 35lb & a head of wild river carp in the area, so I hope this temps some of you out.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Nice report. Very pleased for you as I know you planned this one for quite a while. Nice to see the planning paid off and congrats on the pb although it is a little bit open for debate as to who would count it and who would not ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Now thinking of a 5 day season opener next year, (22nd-26th June). Mainly to learn the water better & for less chance of getting soaked through. But I have a question :- short of several trips to bait shop, how do you keep bait good for a long session, carp anglers using boilies & pellets, dont have the problem, but I will have 5 days supply of maggots, casters & worms to keep good? This being, (so far), a heavy maggot water, I will have over a gallon of maggots, a mixture of white, red & bronze. Casters-4 pint & worms-4 tubs+. So over 5 days what could my losses be? I will take a riddle to seperate the 'deads' & use them in groundbait mix, so wont really lose them, just cant use as hookbait.

There must be several methods to use & I await your replies.

Mark

, how do you keep bait good for a long session, carp anglers using boilies & pellets, dont have the problem, but I will have 5 days supply of maggots, casters & worms to keep good?

Hi Mark, nice report.

I often need to keep maggots for a number of days on long sessions. I used to use an old freezer box with those plastic freezer blocks to keep my maggots cold it worked kinda of ok. I would simply put a few blocks in the bottom of the box and empty the maggots loose over them with some bran or sawdust and try to keep it in the shade.

I now manage to keep my maggots usable longer by storing them in 1 or 1/2 pint packs. I put them in freezer resealable bags and squeeze all the air out and then seal the bag up. They can stay dormant in this state for days if kept in a cold spot like a garage floor and I often buy my maggots for the weekend and keep them this way until the weekend. While fishing I hide them in the shadiest spot I can find and they keep very well. When you open a pack it may take a few hours for them to become active again, so dont assume they are dead. Of course they could be dead :D but that would not bother me as for the fishing I do like to use deads. I think they tend to fish as well as live when after larger specimen fish and as I often kill maggots to use in groundbait anyway the odd dead batch never goes to waste.

I have yet to find a great method for keeping worms alive. As a general guide lobs do not tolerate heat well but will store better if kept in a big breathable sack with wet paper or plenty of compost. They seem to over heat and turn to mush quickly if kept in bait box's during hot weather. I would check through my lob bag periodically on a session as just one dead one can soon contaminate the rest and kill them all off.

Dendra's may be a better option if you want to fish worm during hot weather they seem to last better but in real hot weather worms are not the easiest to keep and at the prices the tackle shops charge I would use maggot. I have often kept Dendra's for weeks on end in a breathable sack.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Thanks Dales. That will help a lot. But as going in June, will have to try a few methods beforehand with smaller amounts. So you like the report then, maybe if it tempts you we could meet there sometime???

Mark