When Barramundi Fishing...

Bobj

...Watch out for these.

A 14 ft croc sunning itself at my old fishing possie.

First view of the croc, about 75 yards away.

Hols2012050_zps6fb7d58e.jpg

Hols2012057_zpscc78845f.jpg

Got within 10 yards to take the pic.

Alas, no barra as the water was deemed "a bit cold" by the locals...Only 37 C that day.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Bobj,

Nice pics. Brave soul you are. I understand just a smidge nipped from the underside of the tail is pretty good hook bait?

Phone

I'll take your word for it, mate.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 year later...

Went back there last September and can report that said croc is minus its snout. Some idiot shot its nose part off and the crochas to swim in a more upright manner.

Managed to get 2 barra and 2 threadfin salmon this trip.

A guesstimated 1.07 cm barra, too heavy to lift out of the water.

post-8845-0-22860900-1382554236_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Nice pics ans a very nice saltwater barra.

My own close encounter with a crock was with a 12 footer that was lying on the river bottom in india until I disturbed him by going over him in my little coracle.

My how the water did boil and froth as he decided to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Nice pics ans a very nice saltwater barra.

My own close encounter with a crock was with a 12 footer that was lying on the river bottom in india until I disturbed him by going over him in my little coracle.

My how the water did boil and froth as he decided to go elsewhere.

Goodoh, mate. Have you reached the magic metre yet?

Crocs tend to make big swirls when surprised!! And I've surprised a few! :yucky:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

UK fishing is kinda oriented around weight rather than length and I tend to take that mentallity with me when I travel.

My biggest was caught a couple of years ago and weighed twenty nine and a half pounds. No idea what the length would have been.

There are bigger fish present (I've heard of a fish of 22kg) but they're rare bacause they get hammered commercially.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fishos are catching the big girlies to 88 lbs (40 kg) in the north Qld dams. My biggest is 60 lbs and 47 in.

Your 30 lb barra would be in the 35-37 in (90-95 cm); pretty good :thumbs:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Fishos are catching the big girlies to 88 lbs (40 kg) in the north Qld dams. My biggest is 60 lbs and 47 in.

Your 30 lb barra would be in the 35-37 in (90-95 cm); pretty good :thumbs:

Yes, I've read your stories about fishing those dams whilst trying to supress the green eyed monster.