got a hook stuck in my finger

Andy_1984

i found that really odd. when i pulled it out i was expecting blood but none at all, not even a drop. even showed it to my mate i found it so weird. as soon as i squeezed it a little it started but only a little :blink:

made me wonder about the fish feel pain debate.

Puncture wounds don't bleed a lot. They tend to swell deep and that closes the wound tight, slowing and stopping bleeding.

Believe it or not I've had an arrow through my arm and it didn't bleed a lot, also the last inch or so of a live rapier...again it didn't bleed a lot, but bruised the entirety of my forearm black for about 5 weeks!

Andy if in doubt ask for a penicilin shot......they don`t hurt much :spiteful:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Strange - I give blood as many times as possible and I find the thumb prick has a slight stinging sensation but the needle that drains the blood does not hurt a bit.

Same with a cut from a sharp knife - no pain.

Paper cuts - now they hurt :D

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Strange - I give blood as many times as possible and I find the thumb prick has a slight stinging sensation but the needle that drains the blood does not hurt a bit.

Same with a cut from a sharp knife - no pain.

Paper cuts - now they hurt :D

just got my Gold for giving blood :)

think its all down to how the nerves are severed to be honest. sharp cuts/stabs, though deeper, dont cause the trauma to the nerves etc that blunt or ragged cuts do, so they hurt less...least ways that the way ive always thought about it.

sliced the top off my knuckle once with a stanley....didnt hurt a bit; had stiches and the lot ad didnt really do much more than ache...

ripped my arm on barbed wire and it hurt like holy hell!! never want to to do that again!!

Hi Andy,

..... ouch....... it does hurt more coming out rather than going in doesn't it?

I managed to hook my left thumb a few years back while stalking some Carp on the Basingstoke canal. I was freelining and casting a BIG lump of crust to fish in the pads on the far bank. I was using a big hook (2 or 4 can't remember exactly) which had become a bit blunt and decided to tie on a new one (damn the expense!).

I'd just finished and was pulling it up tight when a "Jasper" (read wasp..) chose that moment to hassle me. while still holding the hook in my left hand I started to "windmill" at the little b***** with my right.....only to get caught up with my line pulling the bloody hook right in!

Right in to the bend!

I knew there was no way that it could be backed out and with some nice sized fish under the pads on the other side I wasn't going to go hunting for a Surgery/Out patients to have it removed!

Fortunately I'd been given a really nice Leatherman as a Birthday pressie only a week before so decided upon some DIY.

I gripped the shank firmly in the jaws of the pliers and with a deep breath I pushed at the same time twisting so as to take the shortest route possible back out of my thumb.

It took some doing I'll tell you, it's surprising how tough the flesh of a thumb is!

With a little bit of "cussing" (but no tears! ... how brave!) the point finally popped through the skin!!! I cut the point and barb off using the cutters of the Leatherman, backed the hook out and wrapped the thumb with a bit of tissue and insulating tape.

I will not be looking forwards to another such mishap!

I tied another hook and with a big lump of bread took a couple of mid doubles from the pads before moving on a bit further! B)

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Although I've had hooks caught in my hand several times, only once have I had any problem getting one out. This was when the hook had penetrated right to the bone. It was in the early days at Wingham and involved a pike of about 12lbs and a plug with 2 trebles - one in the very active pike, the other in me!

The most important thing of course was the welfare of the pike, and luckily (but not without some difficulty!) I managed to get it safely back into the water.

Getting the other treble out wasn't so easy, and involved a trip to the local hospital where the staff were amused rather than sympathetic - mind you it was the second case that day!

The only real difference in their technique was that they squirted on some of the spray used on injured players in the World Cup when then yanked on the hook!

It may be cold but it's not an anaesthetic!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve,

I had a similar "hospital" experience. Stuck myself straight to the thumb bone. Fortunately no fish was involved in my story. After messing with it for some time decided to go to the hospital ER. Big Mistake ! (well sort of). The physician chap on duty and his several nurses "didn't know what to do". Frankly neither did I. Three hrs.of "jacking around" poking and proding - now pain 10 X worse than the original stick they said, "it's going to require a surgeon". Surgeon, a crusty old fart of considerable experience poured hydrogen peroxide on it then gave me a shot of deading in the thumb and said, "this will probably hurt a bit - should have called in a dentist rather than me. Reached in my belt and got out my pair of plyers and backed the hook out. As he left he returned my plyers and told the help, "better give him an antibotic prescription and a booster shot" (tetnus) even though mine was only a couple year old.

His bill was $900.00 + ER charges (all covered - not out of pocket thank goodness.) Still have a "dent" in the pad of my thumb.

Phone

..... His bill was $900.00 + ER charges.....

Phone

Thank god we've got the NHS! :o

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.