Bulking out groundbait

chrislee342

Chris,

Androo has a good suggestion (and he's not usually a carp fisherman) and maybe he's familiar with the Dynamite Baits Silver X Canal & Lake groundbait product. That is, if 50/50 (doubling) meets your definition of "bulking out".

For this thread to be of much value you need to address what it is you want to catch. You have two products designed to two different purposes. Maybe some of the more experienced UK guys can say if you can/should mix the two together along with other "stuff" to create a "catch anything" bait(?). It is my experience that rarely, on AN, will you find an angler striking out on a "catch anything" session.

Twice molehill earth has been mentioned. I'd be careful. You need pretty good watercraft skills to use molehill earth (or other clouding agents). For example, it's not to effective when used in an already muddy venue. Clouding agents are not groundbait. Groundbait is bait that lays on the ground in the bottom of the lake or river.

Phone

have you tried bulking out your groundbait with rice?? i find it quite hard to beat especially when targeting bream and carp, bream will spend ages trying to get every last grain up, even more so if you add a flavor additive and coloring to the rice when cooking it ;)

swinghook8.gif

"You hold the future in your hands, teach catch and release"

My Blog:- A Fishermans Dream

Twice molehill earth has been mentioned. I'd be careful. You need pretty good watercraft skills to use molehill earth (or other clouding agents). For example, it's not to effective when used in an already muddy venue. Clouding agents are not groundbait. Groundbait is bait that lays on the ground in the bottom of the lake or river.

I think its value is more that it's full of worm amino acids, courtesy of the mole's diet.

Phone

It also darkens groundbait mixes, which some shy species do not like creating a silhouette over, it also acts as a binder with certain mixes, it adds weight to some mixes which aren't very dense and as Davy R mentioned, it contains amino acids and worm casts, bugs and a natural element that groundbaits don't always have. It also dilutes some flavours which can be too potent for the amount of mix being used and if the water is muddied as you suggested, a dark mix can be advantageous.

Apart from anything. It was suggested a a bulking agent, the topic of the discussion, not a groundbait.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy,

Post #1 is a pretty simple single sentence question.

I do agree with the use of dirt. My point is that it is NOT a simple additive. It serves specific purposes, not the least of which is it is used to fill in ponds.

Phone

Hi All,

Been away a while so not been able to reply. I have read through the thread though and thanks to everyone for their input and I will be trying out some of the ideas as soon as I get a chance :thumbs:

One question I do have though is about the following comment.

You have two products designed to two different purposes. Maybe some of the more experienced UK guys can say if you can/should mix the two together along with other "stuff" to create a "catch anything" bait(?). It is my experience that rarely, on AN, will you find an angler striking out on a "catch anything" session.

Just out of interest is it possible to mix two types of groundbait say, a carp groundbait with a silverfish groundbait, to make a catch anything groundbait?? Or would the introduction of some of the ingredients in either put the fish off?

I do not plan on trying this at the moment, just more out of interest.

Edited by chrislee342

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

A carp doesn't know it's a carp and a silver fish doesn't know it's a silver fish...! They are just labels to catch us - mix away :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 7 months later...

I would suggest also a cheap loaf mashed up and Vitalin. You may want to liquidise the Vitalin. I think also there are diffrnet varities of vitalin on the market now but i used the original one in the yellow bag. Comes in all diffrent size bags and is fairly cheap.

Had some good weights of Carp and Bream using viatalin and simply adding micro pellets and liquid attractants.

If its too big i won't land it!