Tank Glass question

Andy_1984

just wondering if those little glass ledges inside the tank at the top are required at all. i assume they are for some sort of hood.

one of them on my tank is becoming quite loose and the other one when ever water hits it you can hear a strange sound as though something is contracting/expanding (sounds like grit being pressed between glass if you can picture that)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Aj is quite correct they are there for that reason, and if weakened there is a serious chance your tank could split. If these are failing i would consider a new tank or drain and reseal as other joints may also be failing and you could hear a pop in the night.

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

think i would preffer getting it resealed. is it cheap compared to a new tank ?

Depends on size of tank, usually as cheap to buy new - but if your quite handy theres plenty of tank building/refurb info on the web - a 48*18*12 runs about 50 quid round here.

Make sure you use aquarium silicone sealant and NOT normal silicone,

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

£50 for a repair or new tank ? my dimensions are very very similar. 48" x 13" x 15" (L,W,H) and if thats around about for full reseal id happily go for that.

i wouldnt feel confident enough to do a repair myself(would for ever be jumping every time the tench spits gravel at the glass) and would rather someone who does it for a living do it then that way hopefuly there is some sorta guarantee if it all fails within a few months.

Edited by Andy_1984

thats pretty unbelievable. i guess what your paying for in the shops is the bloody stand! shame delivery would cost me £300.

ill have a look locally if thats roughly the cost for a brand new one since i have everything else and the stand ive custom built for my tank.

stands are a ball breaker as are custom hoods - try to find a local manufacturer or glaziers with experience of tanks --- theres always ebaggage or aquarist classifieds for a secondhand one

if you have transport its only bout 90 mins down to here

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com