A wrasse bash

Snatcher

Some visiting anglers to our caravan park had kindly donated some nice lugworm to me when they left so it seemed only right to put them to good use. What I had in mind was a wrasse bash on one of the Mull of Galloway marks.

I had not actually fished for wrasse this year myself but I had on three occasions taken youngsters out fishing for them. I was just coach on these trips so I needed balance things up. I drove over to as near to the mark as I could get and that left me a yomp of about a mile. On reaching the sea and much to my dismay I seen that the farmer had erected a new electric fence.

IMG_4377prc.jpg

Now it is rumoured that a lot of the farmers simply just wire their fences into the mains electricity supply. Having had a few belts off them over the years I quite believe it. Once whilst walking to another mark I got chased by a bull in the field,I vaulted the fence as best I could and got a belt off it and landed face first into a cow pat. Looking back at it I can laugh now !!!!

IMG_4376prc.jpg

Anyway I managed to "limbo" two of the fences without incident and eventually reach my fishing mark. On fishing trips I normally tale a compact digital camera with me but because the caravan had appeared to have "eaten it" I took an SLR with me. Because of this I did not want to take the camera anywhere near the waters edge so set up a few yards from the sea.

IMG_4370prc.jpg

I had arrived two hours before high water and intended to make it a 3 hour session. I rigged up a sliding float and set the stop knot (elastic band) to about 12 feet and tied on a 2/0 baitholder hook. I could have went for a smaller hook and caught more wrasse but I did not want to catch tiddlers on this occasion. If I had been coaching youngsters I would have opted for a smaller hook initially though.

I started off by fishing just a couple of feet out any adjusting the stop till the bait was just off the bottom. It took about 20 minutes before I got a bite which I duly missed. I also missed the next two bites before finally hooking into a decent wrasse. As usual on a light spinning rod it gave me a good scrap before I let a wave lift it onto the rock ledge beside me. I then took it back up to where I had left the camera,took a quick photo and then carefully unhooked and released it.

IMG_4372.jpg

It then took me about another 20 minutes before I hooked into my second wrasse which was slightly bigger than the first. I also then carried this one up to be photographed. They are bonny fish and the colour variations never ceases to amaze me.

IMG_4371prc.jpg

After this I managed to get two more wrasse which were bigger again but these I simply released at the waters edge and did not bother with the camera. Well I had caught my target fish so now I changed tactics and tied on a lure,hoping to catch a pollack or two. After a couple casts I had a take and reeled in a mackerel. Now there is nothing better than fresh mackerel strip float fished for pollack so I rigged up the sliding float again. I had no sooner cast out when the float shot under and I hooked into - another mackerel !!!!!!!!!! This I also kept for bait.

Eventually on high water the pollack came onto the feed and I managed to catch 4 to about 3lb. The first,and smallest,I photographed,the rest I unhooked at the waters edge.

IMG_4374prc.jpg

Well it had been a decent 3 hour session - 4 wrasse,4 pollack and two mackerel. Nothing really big but most enjoyable. I called it a day at this point and headed back to the car a happy chappie. I even managed to negociate the electric fences again without getting a shock.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy