The big river roach of the past

Anderoo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Some big river roach of the past, courtesy of a young Mr Wilson (skip past the chubbing to 21.10):

Youtube Video ->Original Video

So jealous! :)

While I'm at it, here's another (4 minutes in):

(Any of you Kennet boys recognise this bit?)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been re-reading the roach chapters in Terry lampard's book 'First Cast', where he describes the amazing roach fishing on the Dorset Stour and Hampshire Avon in the late 70s/80s/early 90s. It's just mind-blowing for someone who grew up in an era when it was already over. I've been fortunate that in my lifetime I've seen golden ages for species like chub, perch, bream and I live in hope that there's big river roach boom at some point in my life.

Have any members lived through such a big roach boom? And did you fill your boots with enormous redfins, or was it just as hard as now where you lived?

A few pics from the book to make you drool:

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

I've been re-reading the roach chapters in Terry lampard's book 'First Cast', where he describes the amazing roach fishing on the Dorset Stour and Hampshire Avon in the late 70s/80s/early 90s. It's just mind-blowing for someone who grew up in an era when it was already over. I've been fortunate that in my lifetime I've seen golden ages for species like chub, perch, bream and I live in hope that there's big river roach boom at some point in my life.

Some big river roach of the past, courtesy of a young Mr Wilson (skip past the chubbing to 21.10):

So jealous! :)

While I'm at it, here's another (4 minutes in):

(Any of you Kennet boys recognise this bit?)

Thanks - a couple of great videos. I don't recognise the bit of kennet - it didn't look like barton Court. Maybe the Wilderness?

john clarke

Thanks - a couple of great videos. I don't recognise the bit of kennet - it didn't look like barton Court. Maybe the Wilderness?

John Wilson was less nauseating when he was younger. Nothing looks familiar in the second video but there's a lot of the Kennet I haven't seen. CP?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

When I first started fishing in 1981 my training ground was Kessingland Sluice in Suffolk along the River Hundred more like a drain than a river. I was taught by a Roach angler and I would set up a Drennan Stillwater blue with 2lb ine a 1lb bottom and 18 fine wire hook fishing single caster. It was under the rod tip fishing and my PB then was 2 lb 4oz In the winter I fished with another Roach angler on the River Hundred Stretch off the A12 along the Latymere Dam Bread Flake produced less than 3 2lb roach per winter. in the 2st C Mink and Otters and continued pumping of the river due to mild wet winters has really ballsed up the Roaching, Having said that there is a shoal of very big Bream, and some huge Tench still there. a local club used to have it but its all gone now as the club went to easier commercials

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

I thought I recognised it but not sure. It is South of the canal which should narrow it down a bit. But I'm off to fish somewhere now (it's sodding raining again) so I'll think about it while I am chub/grayling charming.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."