How to toughen worms ?

essexboy

Red worms from my compost heap are great bait but very soft and can be torn off the hook (barbless ) fairly easily.

I remember reading somewhere that you can toughen the worms skin by putting them in some slightly abrasive material but can't remember what it was.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Red worms from my compost heap are great bait but very soft and can be torn off the hook (barbless ) fairly easily.

I remember reading somewhere that you can toughen the worms skin by putting them in some slightly abrasive material but can't remember what it was.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

I would suggest that soft worms are what you want. A hook will tear through soft worms more easily resulting in better penetration. Different worms have different qualities though and it I recall, Dendrobaena's are the softest, redworms are somewhere in the middle and lobs are fairly tough. So first, pick your worms.

As for toughening them up, I have transferred worms to shredded newspaper before now to reduce their moisture content a bit. It does work but do it just before you go fishing because it will reduce their lifespan.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

essexboy,

Powdered milk. We used to use cornmeal but powdered milk turned out to be better. Worm skins are made up of calcium. The more calcium the tougher the skin - that's what you want.

If you want to feed them regularly and powdered milk is a bit to pricy you can crush egg shells - C A U T I O N !! They must be cooked egg shells (i.e. from boiled eggs or boil (or microwave) the shell before crushing and putting them in the pile. Raw eggs, and the shell, can carry earthworm diseases.

The only worms I'm familiar with that toughen with abrasive materials are 'artifical worms'. (????)

Phone

Sand

Shredded newspaper

My favourite though is moss

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

sphagnum moss ,is what is required ,get a clump of sphagnum moss dampon it and place over the worms in a baitbox ,they will crawl through it scouring their skins and toughening them up .you can buy sphagnum moss ,from model / railway shops ,rather than take live moss from its home .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Old books on fishing often included advice on how to "scour" worms for the hook and that advice usually advocated the use of moss. I think it applied exclusively to lobworms and I'm not sure it would have any effect on other types of worm.

I thought the practice of "scouring" worms had more or less died out anyway - or is it one of those angling fashions that comes around every now and then?

• 2 weeks later...
Russian greatest fisherman Sabaneev also recomended to use moss.

he also thought that a pike lived for 300 years

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur