bass stocks are in decline

barry luxton

Ohh i do like your link phone from the mcs. They have wound up thier campaign to close down 73 areas of sea to all based on bullshine and non-facts. I can speak for ages on that one and have done so. Thier agenda is to close down 30% of the seas around the uk to all commercial and also anglers. Thanks for the laugh, if you insist on using this as 'evidence' i will enjoy the debate. cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

[ must admit, the reports on the shortage of bass has me totally confused. the numbers of small fish in some areas have been described as being in plague proportions and reports by anglers on the numbers of large bass up towards the 20lb mark have been outstanding. this added to the number who prefer not to report what they catch makes me wonder what the true facts are, and as i've said it has myself and no doubt many other anglers puzzled.

I have roed up female bass that are 34.5 and 35 cm long its total bullxhit that female bass dont mature until they are 43-45 cm long, male and female bass mature at the same size which is under the present minimum landing size,

Sounds like anglers may have a bag limit soon then.

Barry l,

Very well, surely you have a civil debate in you. The "jaundiced view" is from my perspective. You want to state the question again and give me referreces (I'll read them). I'll debate with you. For example, I agree when you say,

..."ices, state that the stock is sustainable, you going to ignore that one?"

Maybe your a one question at a time sort of guy. Sustainable for who? (rec-anglers or commercials) How would you seperate the two at sea?

ICES opening statement to your "evidence" paper is as follows: "Currently there is no TAC for this species and it is not clear whether there should be one or several management units."

In your quotated paper ICES includes the following: Bay of Biscay, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea to Northwest Africa. Seabass spawn during January–March in the Bay of Biscay and from February to May in the English Channel and - - -".

Is that a "fair representation" of the fish you wish to debate?

Having now read 4 ICES Seabass articles I would say it it "reasonable" if you want to limit the debate to ICES materials. Oxford Press seems willing to publish opinions on both sides.

Or, you can rant.

[for those who don't want to look here is the ICES Mission Statement: "The ICES Journal of Marine Science is the flagship publication of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. It will provide an outlet for quality articles, short communications, Food for Thought perspectives, critical reviews, and comments that contribute to the scientific understanding of marine systems and the impact of human activities."] (c&p)

Phone

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again i thought i would leave the same comment below the article, due to deletion and sanitation:

second time for posting this opinion, whats up chaps, ignoring the facts are you:

fabulous rsa bass fishing has been had this year throughout the channel, this has been ignored by the trust. The commercial bass fishing in the channel is also carried out responsibly by the low landing figures of trawling compared with line caught and targeted gill netting, i.e. no discard issues. Also ignored is the commercial take by the french that is far higer than the uk landings. According to ices the stock is sustainable. According to this report, it is in decline and the mls is used as the reason why. Are the trust and BASS looking for a uk bass fishery based on the Irish model. No commercial landings? Bag limits for the rsa and the fishery to be managed. If so who’s paying and at what cost to the local communities and the under tens who rely on this healthy fishery as they are excluded from 97% of all fish quota issued.

I note that the french anglers have now had thier mls increased yet commercially it continues, be careful what you wish for the rsa on thier behalf.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

One has to ask “What is your beef Barry?” Is it that the Angling Trust has ignored you? I take it you are still a non-member not that it makes much difference as they have long since closed their own communication forum. However members do get a response so I’m reliably informed.

Do you feel their idea of following what is claimed to be an Irish success story is wrong? And are you basing that on what appears to have been a good year on parts of the south coast. While that can’t be denied other areas have not had a good year for RSA Bass fishing by any stretch of the imagination, so how does that fit with your ideal?

The Angling Trust has been in consultation with the Southern IFCA working group, do you not have friends in that part of the world who might advise what that IFCA might be asking DEFRA for advice on?

The EU has set the MLS for Bass at 37.5cm they say at that size Bass can and do reproduce so not much chance of any changes there, but the word is the Angling Trust and the Bass Fishing Society want that increased. Chances are that will mean sea angling will concede while the commercial sector keeps to 37.5 nothing new in that given the track record on Tope and Eel debacle, it will be seen as a victory by their sea committee too but who helped destroy the one voice that could have made a difference? Oh yes it was YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

get lost, it was your gob that couldn't keep it's place, selective memory have you.

get lost, it was your gob that couldn't keep it's place, selective memory have you.

What a charming response to be sure, all I have mouthed off at these past two years are at those who have in one way or another let sea anglers down and are helping the likes of the Angling Trust further their cause.

Many who you would like to suck up to rather than be honest about and all because you want to be liked, sorry Barry but it don’t wash and that’s why you will be for ever moaning on the internet and a fat lot of good that will do.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg