war of the worlds

kirisute

just bought the new version of this epic album!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/jeff-wayn...ion/id572470367

I am a huge fan of the original score and have a copy of the original album complete with the interior art book etc as well as the cd compilation.

just listening to this new version for "a new generation"

so far its not too bad...some obvious changes and a bit "funkier" in places; Liam Neeson doesn't do a bad job of narrating and overall its sounding pretty damn cool. even the original art has been reproduced in the digital booklet for the release!

any one else listened to this version? opinions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just bought the new version of this epic album!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/jeff-wayn...ion/id572470367

I am a huge fan of the original score and have a copy of the original album complete with the interior art book etc as well as the cd compilation.

just listening to this new version for "a new generation"

so far its not too bad...some obvious changes and a bit "funkier" in places; Liam Neeson doesn't do a bad job of narrating and overall its sounding pretty damn cool. even the original art has been reproduced in the digital booklet for the release!

any one else listened to this version? opinions?

Not heard the new version yet but I listen to the old one quite often to chill .I will have to source a copy B)

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

WotW was one of the soundtracks of my youth along with the likes of Tangerine Dream and Jean Michelle Jarre - it was only David Essex that ruined it. I've not heard the new version yet but will have to track some of it down and have a listen.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I first became aware of this re-working when Gary Barlow's version of Forever Autumn was aired on Radio 2. It's almost a clone of the original. If there's nothing new to add, why bother? Many cover versions have their own distinctive sound - if you're gonna do a re-release, surely it should offer up something new, musically - this doesn't seem to.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I first became aware of this re-working when Gary Barlow's version of Forever Autumn was aired on Radio 2. It's almost a clone of the original. If there's nothing new to add, why bother? Many cover versions have their own distinctive sound - if you're gonna do a re-release, surely it should offer up something new, musically - this doesn't seem to.

The main songs are very similar but the main scores etc have been reworked quite considerably once you listen to them. Nothing major, it's still WOTW but there are new sounds, clever effects and some enhancements.

For exemplar, if you recall, the hero jump into a stream when the Martians attack the gun placement on the hill. In the original the narration just carries right on with the music, on the new version you hear a splash and it goes silent for about ten seconds before neeson begins his narration again when he comes up for air.

Nothing extraordinary but certainly enough fr it all to sound new.

Heard a bit of it on an advert - it just sounds wrong to me in any voice but Richard Burton's.

I believe the phrase is "Gilding the lily".

Each to their own though. I had a conversation about cover versions with one of my daughters. I played her the original version of a re-release and because she'd heard the latest version first, it was the original which didn't sound right to her. Similarly, I've been sure that songs I'd heard were originals until - years later - I came across the original recording.

Re-recorded songs that have skipped a whole generation of listeners have a brand new audience, many of whom are unaware of the existence of the "classic" version.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."