Pikeing without trebles

chezz

Does anybody out there use barbless circle hooks instead of 19 th century trebles as I have yet to hook a pike deeply in the last ten years. I mention this as I saw a fatality only yesterday at my local lake two fellers with all the proper gear with a deep hooked pike the cause trebles in it's gut. I took it on the first indication he said awful sight I can tell you nearly put me off fishing for good. you don't use trebles for barracuda why use them for pike,.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fact its the first time you've seen anything like it in 10 years doesnt exactly make me want to rush out and buy circles. A deep hooked pike is not a death sentence.

there is a topic around here where Leon Roskilly trialed circles for pike. the results were good but a lot of the time the circles caught in the scissors. imo not a great idea, for pike anyway but thats just me.

topic: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Trebles-t701534.html

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

the fact its the first time you've seen anything like it in 10 years doesnt exactly make me want to rush out and buy circles. A deep hooked pike is not a death sentence.

there is a topic around here where Leon Roskilly trialed circles for pike. the results were good but a lot of the time the circles caught in the scissors. imo not a great idea, for pike anyway but thats just me.

topic: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Trebles-t701534.html

It's not the first time I have seen this in ten years, I actually said I have not deep hooked a pike in ten years . Hair rigged deads on a tag from a tagging gun fish can swallow completely and the hook just backs up every time, going back to your misinterpretation I have seen it many many times and mostimes if the fish is hooked in the stomach it's game over the stomach acids leak into the intestinal region causing I imagine great pain.

It's not the first time I have seen this in ten years, I actually said I have not deep hooked a pike in ten years . Hair rigged deads on a tag from a tagging gun fish can swallow completely and the hook just backs up every time, going back to your misinterpretation I have seen it many many times and mostimes if the fish is hooked in the stomach it's game over the stomach acids leak into the intestinal region causing I imagine great pain.

sorry for the little misunderstanding. so when you say you havnt deep hooked a pike in 10 years did you mean by using circle hooks or trebles ?

and as for seeing it many many times, those people must be doing something wrong, poor bite indication is probably the issue there, or not paying proper attention, drinking, sleeping, having a carry on etc etc.

its not always game over, not if you know what your doing that is. granted i havnt been pike fishing for 10 years but i tell ya all the problems with pike i see are because of ignorant novices. and in the case of circles hooks i doubt that would change stupidity and handling skills.

sorry for the little misunderstanding. so when you say you havnt deep hooked a pike in 10 years did you mean by using circle hooks or trebles ?

and as for seeing it many many times, those people must be doing something wrong, poor bite indication is probably the issue there, or not paying proper attention, drinking, sleeping, having a carry on etc etc.

its not always game over, not if you know what your doing that is. granted i havnt been pike fishing for 10 years but i tell ya all the problems with pike i see are because of ignorant novices. and in the case of circles hooks i doubt that would change stupidity and handling skills.

You have hit the nail on the head Andy not responding quick enough. Trying to tell people this apparently hasnt worked their will always be a lot of people who ignore the rods once they are out. but even hitting the bite early doesn't always work. Ten years with circles and another thirty five with trebles has taught me there is no contest which is safest ,bait presentaion is better too Especially with the latest wire from the states you can knot it untie it and it doesent kink!!.

you clearly have more experience with the trebles than i do. for me though i dont see any reason for me to change yet if at all, like i say handling, indication etc goes a long way. i see the point in circles though as per Leons experiments with them although the whole scissors thing doesnt sit right with me. what wire is this you speak of it sounds interesting, how is it for crimping ?

I am not sure that circles are the wonder hooks that some make out. I do not doubt that a high percentage catch in the mouth but as Andy states is hooking them in the scissors ideal? They are also not the easiest hooks to roll out if deep hooked and they do not always catch in the mouth. Experienced anglers may have very few issues but the same can be said about trebles. Oddly I think less experienced anglers may have less problems with trebles and J hooks then an awkward positioned circle.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek