Pikeing without trebles

chezz

chezz,

Quote WI Department of Natural Resources:

""""—Short-term (48-h) hooking mortality was examined for 185 northern pike Esox lucius

angled on baited still lines from three Wisconsin lakes. Mortality from capture with

size-4 treble hooks baited with live fish was negligible (< 1%); however, mortality associated with

single pike hooks baited with rainbow smelt Osmerus mordax was substantial (33%).""""

Don't know if this contributes anything to the discussion. Execpt that you can catch 185 pike in 48 hours in WI>

Phone

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

I hope this is not a 'hyjack" of chezz's thread. I ask this question today at coffee. No one knew the answer for "bait" fishing. We don't do that much bait fishing for pike.

They did say something interesting that I'll pass along. Lure fishing few pike are caught on a "quick strike". They say pike will attack from any angle but eventually turn the lure "front first" (front treble hook up). If you are catching most of your pike on the trailing treble you are striking too soon. Both trebles fully in the mouth your waiting to long (very rarely happens).

8 of us were at coffee. Not one of the 5 who regularly pike fish believe deep hooking is even the SLIGHTEST problem with pike (remember they lure fish). One guy said, "on rare occasion jigging you will hook big pike (30 inches up) in the back of the mouth but jigs are not treble hooks." The back of a 30 inch pike's mouth is a L O N G way back there.

I don't know. I don't pike fish.

Phone

Where's 'voice of reason' Burgess...?

(I haven't done that much lure fishing for pike, especially in recent years, but with zander a hard strike is essential. A lot of people seem to lose zander and accept that a proportion of the fish they hook will come adrift - they're just not striking hard enough.)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Does anybody out there use barbless circle hooks instead of 19 th century trebles as I have yet to hook a pike deeply in the last ten years. I mention this as I saw a fatality only yesterday at my local lake two fellers with all the proper gear with a deep hooked pike the cause trebles in it's gut. I took it on the first indication he said awful sight I can tell you nearly put me off fishing for good. you don't use trebles for barracuda why use them for pike,. Andy it's call AFW surflon micro supreme fishing wire I have seen it on ebay for aout £8 for 5 metres but trust me it's the doggys any knot but the nail knot is as tight as a sharks arse I have in the past untied and retied without trimming tell me any other wire that will do that we are 20 years behind the yanks sadly.I also use knot 2 kinky its a single strand can be knotted still but s- t- r- e- t- c- h -e -s up to ten percent good with lures and braid I get this with the afw from the states and have not seen it here.

I only realy started piking sereously last year and have used single hooks from the word go.

My hook up rate is at least the equal of an experienced buddy using trebles.

I often hook fish in the scissors and am not convinced that it is worse for the fish than having a wire trace sawing in the same spot. Anyway I think that the advantages when unhooking a fish far outweigh any perceived disadvantages.

I have only had one fish deep hooked when it just sat on the bait and swallowed it.

There was no hook visible but with gentle pressure I managed to expose the hook which was very easily removed. There was no blood and the whole process probably took less than a minute and the fish swam strongly away.

You might like to have a look at these.

http://www.pikewatch.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://www.mickbrownangling.com/2007PIKERIGS.html

I only realy started piking sereously last year and have used single hooks from the word go.

My hook up rate is at least the equal of an experienced buddy using trebles.

I often hook fish in the scissors and am not convinced that it is worse for the fish than having a wire trace sawing in the same spot. Anyway I think that the advantages when unhooking a fish far outweigh any perceived disadvantages.

I have only had one fish deep hooked when it just sat on the bait and swallowed it.

There was no hook visible but with gentle pressure I managed to expose the hook which was very easily removed. There was no blood and the whole process probably took less than a minute and the fish swam strongly away.

You might like to have a look at these.

http://www.pikewatch.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://www.mickbrownangling.com/2007PIKERIGS.html

so circle hooks are not a be all and end all to deep hooked pike. seems with the right skill levels trebles vs circles is negligible.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

There are any number of 'papers' on circle hooks. I've put one of my own up several times.

Briefly, the mechanics of a circle work like this. Think of a piece of screen wire. If you drag a circle hook along on the top of the screen it simply slides along. When it begins to fall off the mechanics rotate the circle clear around the screen and then snags the edge of the screen. Technically or as a matter of practicallity circles weren't meant for "boney mouthed" fish. More for fish like a catfish with a "hard" rather smooth mouth but soft VERY well defined lip when the hook rotates it snags the lip.

I don't know - can't conceive of a reason to use them with pike (a chomping fish).

Others will have to tell you the mechanical advantages of why they would even consider using circles on pike. I guess because someone else did it? Doesn't make sense to me.

Phone