Pikeing without trebles

chezz

I hav'nt been using circle hooks just large singles, size 2 ESP Raptors with the bait hair rigged.

I usually use smallish baits, half sardines or joeys. The biggest would have been whole smallish herring.

From what I understand the beauty of circles is that the only place it will get a hold is in the scissors or edge of the mouth making it most satisfactory for fish that are prone to swallow the bait. In theory it would just pull out of the throat intil it found an ''edge'' to get hold of.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so circle hooks are not a be all and end all to deep hooked pike. seems with the right skill levels trebles vs circles is negligible.
But why would you want all that metal in the mouth of a valuable fish are you not confident enough yet to use 1 single hook why not use trebles for carp ....because people would be in uproar over it thats why .... because you don't need them.

chezz,

Good point! Trebles are far safer for carp. Few Brits have a clue about trebles. Plain logic tells you a single hook point on a three hook point device is still a single hook point. I bet there aren't half a dozen anglers left in all of England who've caught a carp with a treble hook on purpose.

The rest are experts (or match fishermen).

Fish mortality is lowest with trebles. But regardless, we ARE in the sport of fish killing. Mortality is part of the game.

Phone

But why would you want all that metal in the mouth of a valuable fish are you not confident enough yet to use 1 single hook why not use trebles for carp ....because people would be in uproar over it thats why .... because you don't need them.

Better, stronger hookups pure and simple.

:) Its not about confidence. If that was an issue i wouldnt be pike fishing. Ive been saying through the entire length of this topic that skill, handling, indication etc are probably more important than the end tackle, no amount of fancy hooks and tackle will ever replace the human element.

I dont exactly see any benefit for myself to switch over to singles or circles for pike as im 110% confident in my own abilities in any awkward/dodgy situation when ever that may happen with my own tackle (dealt with numerous bad hookups by other novice anglers who lacked the basic skills).

The only thing i dont like personally about circles is hooking them in the scissors on purpose, as seems to happen more often than not with circles.

Now if anglers using circles have the proper skills to catch and deal with a pike when things go bad, and they will at some point, then fair play to them.

Why not use trebles for carp? because i had never heard of it until just a few months ago. Im not sure on that one yet so i wont get in to that.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

chezz,

"hooking them in the scissors"

I have a question. Do UK pike anglers who use circle hooks carry bolt cutters for removing circle hooks in this area. When we use circle hooks they become VERY expensive. Anywhere but the front of the mouth the hook gets cut and taken out from both directions.

Not positive but I believe we "change hooks" (and jig heads) far more often than UK anglers. But then we don't use complex end tackle. That would be a pain in the arce if you had to change end tackle every time you "should" change a hook. Few anglers over here use true hook sharpeners. Most just touch up a hook or change it out.

Phone

chezz,

"hooking them in the scissors"

I have a question. Do UK pike anglers who use circle hooks carry bolt cutters for removing circle hooks in this area. When we use circle hooks they become VERY expensive. Anywhere but the front of the mouth the hook gets cut and taken out from both directions.

Not positive but I believe we "change hooks" (and jig heads) far more often than UK anglers. But then we don't use complex end tackle. That would be a pain in the arce if you had to change end tackle every time you "should" change a hook. Few anglers over here use true hook sharpeners. Most just touch up a hook or change it out.

Phone

I don't know what hooks you are using but I squash the barb to a bump and ROLL the hook out Have only used my greys pliers three times in the last couple of years bolt croppers!! jesus have a look at your set up sounds scary.

chezz,

ha ha! that does sound a bit drastic doesn't it? Small hand held devices able to easily cut forged stainless or non-ferrous hardened metals. Again, since I don't pike fish I have no idea what a "chore" it might be to remove the hook from difficult areas. I'll take your word. Just curious, why not barbless octopus? That last little kink in a circle is, in effect, a "barb" too. That's the only difference between an octopus and a circle.

Phone

I'd say I cut at least 10% of my carp trebles. FYI - In our "Euro" carp torunaments trebles are "forbidden". None of the Euro/English anglers are exactly certain why - they, trebles are forbidden, they are simply abhorred. Same with unhooking mats - no one knows why since we fish on flat clean grass - but it the rule. Ok by me.

Edited by Phone

chezz,

ha ha! that does sound a bit drastic doesn't it? Small hand held devices able to easily cut forged stainless or non-ferrous hardened metals. Again, since I don't pike fish I have no idea what a "chore" it might be to remove the hook from difficult areas. I'll take your word. Just curious, why not barbless octopus? That last little kink in a circle is, in effect, a "barb" too. That's the only difference between an octopus and a circle.

Phone

I'd say I cut at least 10% of my carp trebles. FYI - In our "Euro" carp torunaments trebles are "forbidden". None of the Euro/English anglers are exactly certain why - they, trebles are forbidden, they are simply abhorred. Same with unhooking mats - no one knows why since we fish on flat clean grass - but it the rule. Ok by me.

Yes I dont fish for vegetarians myself but the carp boys on here would string someone up caught using trebles somehow a hair and treble with a boilie just doesnt sit right huh i'm cracking double entedre,s now.

Phone, my tackle shop is quite expensive for decent treble(i know you said circles) hooks so i touch them up and ditch them before they are unusable.

i always carry these 11" side cutters (click here) for hooks that are too difficult to remove or would take to long to mess around with and i also have 12" forceps and smaller, thinner forceps for going through the gills.

i think ive only ever used the side cutters once or twice in the 7 years ive had them. one of those times i know was someone elses pike.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk