Pikeing without trebles

chezz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quick question if any one knows the mechanics of it. would a gut hooked circle or single be more likely to cause tearing or would a treble.
I think the point of this has evaded you Andy they do not hook in the gut at all the point is bent so pulling on the eyed end does not draw the point I feel as I give up just get one and try it !! Anyway jam three points in your hand and in the other just one and tell me which is harder to get out!!.

Andy,

Admittedly, I have a "habit" of going for the sidecutters first. Here's the likely difference. I use the cheapest wire ferrous hooks and change them often. I've never become ''smitten" with the good stuff. After a zillion "hook tests" - - - carp (my chosen fish) can dispatch a ferrous hook in 4 - 7 days. Survival is quite high and you will never "teather" a live carp with ferrous wire hooks. With forged stainless or "high tech" hooks carp are doomed - they may never rust out. In 60 years the number of fish I've lost because of hook failure could be counted on one hand (if that many). Remember, the tensile strength of the line; flex in the rod; and flex in the fish itself are all LESS independently than the lb/sq/ft it takes to bend a wire hook. To straighten a hook the line, rod and fish all have to work in perfect concert.

As for the above question - nope - to many variables in your question. One aspect I can address. My wire hooks since they have a smaller diameter take less force to cause tearing once embedded. Many "gut hooked" fish are actually "swim blatter" hooked fish. I believe that is 100% fatal.

Phone

I think the point of this has evaded you Andy they do not hook in the gut at all the point is bent so pulling on the eyed end does not draw the point I feel as I give up just get one and try it !! Anyway jam three points in your hand and in the other just one and tell me which is harder to get out!!.

I get what Circles are all about and how they work but your telling me with 100% absolute certainty that circle hooks will never ever snag the gut or the rakers. its never happened to any one anywhere?

But that doesnt answer my original question so ill try asking it another way:

"would a circle be more likely to tear the gut than a treble. keeping in mind that i dont believe that not a single person has ever managed to deep hook a pike with a circle hook." its not a snide remark toward circles.

im not trying to argue that circles are bad and shouldnt be used. what im trying to get across is its no wonder rig and shouldnt be thought of as a 100% safe rig replacing the need for a bit of bloody know how and removing the need for trebles.

thats just all my opinion so feel free to not care.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I get what Circles are all about and how they work but your telling me with 100% absolute certainty that circle hooks will never ever snag the gut or the rakers. its never happened to any one anywhere?

But that doesnt answer my original question so ill try asking it another way:

"would a circle be more likely to tear the gut than a treble. keeping in mind that i dont believe that not a single person has ever managed to deep hook a pike with a circle hook." its not a snide remark toward circles.

im not trying to argue that circles are bad and shouldnt be used. what im trying to get across is its no wonder rig and shouldnt be thought of as a 100% safe rig replacing the need for a bit of bloody know how and removing the need for trebles.

thats just all my opinion so feel free to not care. Of course you can catch a raker but it's five times less likely to happen with one point as oposed to six I am sure someone has gut hooked a pike the obvious exception will proove the rule. I haven't seen it myself but I am sure it must happen, It is no wonder rig that is for sure but next to trebles it's as near as , if I was told to go back I would stop pike fishing all together I have tried both, but I suspect you have not, stop doubting so vehemently and try it then you will have grounds to talk.

chezz,

If your "5 times more likely" statement were true - and it is not - then it would be 5 times more likely to hook the fish before it got to the gut.

Your posts on the subject are 'fishwipe' banter. You're reading to many magazines and not doing enough fishing. You appear to be a "blind believer" and have ZERO basis in the science of spearing fish with a fish hook. Trebles don't gut hook - they rip the chit out of fish lips in the hands of irresponsible anglers.

Phone

chezz,

If your "5 times more likely" statement were true - and it is not - then it would be 5 times more likely to hook the fish before it got to the gut.

Your posts on the subject are 'fishwipe' banter. You're reading to many magazines and not doing enough fishing. You appear to be a "blind believer" and have ZERO basis in the science of spearing fish with a fish hook. Trebles don't gut hook - they rip the chit out of fish lips in the hands of irresponsible anglers.

Phone

Did you not read the original post ? do not gut hook? are you using 12 /o s so it's impossible to swallow? and as for not enough fishing hahahahaha thats a good one.

Hi Andy

If you want absolute 100% certainty that you will never ever have a fish swallow a bait then you're in the wrong sport.

If you want to considerably lessen the chances of damaging a pike in the event of it swallowing the bait then use circles.

If you are completely happy that your experience level will enable you firstly to prevent deep hooking and secondling deal with it if it happens then continue with trebles.

Even an experienced piker such as Mick Brown has high regard for the use of single hooks.

http://www.mickbrownangling.com/2007PIKERIGS.html

Hi Andy

If you want absolute 100% certainty that you will never ever have a fish swallow a bait then you're in the wrong sport.

If you want to considerably lessen the chances of damaging a pike in the event of it swallowing the bait then use circles.

If you are completely happy that your experience level will enable you firstly to prevent deep hooking and secondling deal with it if it happens then continue with trebles.

Even an experienced piker such as Mick Brown has high regard for the use of single hooks.

http://www.mickbrownangling.com/2007PIKERIGS.html

Thanks for that Barry I was starting to lose the will to live.......

Hey Barry. i know absolute certainty is impossible i was just highlighting that Chezz was coming across as though he was saying they were. ive got no problem with uncertainty ive said bad hooks ups are not a problem to deal with if someone has the basic understanding of handling etc.

and yes im completely happy with my experience level to use trebles as i believe the greatest majority of people with a little understanding can have that too, without the need for circles but if they want to use them then thats not a problem if they think hooking in the scissors is perfectly fine as im unsure of this and is the "Only" reason im not using them. and without sounding cheeky if mick brown does it im not going to blindly follow suite .

Chezz, you still have the chance to stop pike fishing. just say no :P

i dont need to try them as countless people have tried them and posted their results and that information is plenty for me to make an educated decision on them. i purely do not like the fact they hook the scissors more often than not i dont think you see what im trying to say in that regard!.

other than that i think they would be brilliant if not for hooking the scissors.

give me a hook up in their bony mouth any time of the day with the possibility of more than 1 hook hold evening out the pressure, which happens more often than not with trebles in my experience/opinion.

i think ive said what i need to with regards to my personal opinion on circles.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk