abu 505

tom lad

hi all :D

just bought two abus 505 , 506

seem in gd order , how the heck do i remove the spool ?

the cowling comes of , but the hub with the pin doesn't budge. it slips on the clutch i think when i try to unscrew it .

normal thread anticlockwise ?

i seem to recall reading about the newer ones having a hub locking button , i know y now .

if i tighten the clutch up the hub just slips ?

any idea plz???

also r the reels worth anything

thanx in advance tom

if you hang onto the handle it will lock and allow you to screw the "hub" off and then twist the spool off its retaining lugs.

As to value, that depends a lot on condition, but not hugely valuable.

Edited by Old geezer

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

hold the reel facing you .turn the handle upwards .grab it and the reel's foot ,in your left hand (or right hand if your kackhanded) tighten up the drag (red star wheel on the handle) by turning clockwise/away from you .still hold ing the foot/handle remove the cowling /windcover ,then give the winding cup /bell housing a quick firm twist to the right (clockwise) it should come loose ,you can then tap it downards to spin it off

too replace ,simply do the same in reverse order then re-set the drag .

if by holding the handle and the drag fully tightened up the bell houseing still wont jar loose ,then your going to have to resort to ,jamming the gears (well the jocky wheel) you'll need a small flat bladed screw driver .unscrew the side panel ,see the little gear wheel comming from the spool-end ,well jam the blade of the screwdriver inbetween the gear teeth & hold firmly in place wilst giving the bell housing a firm twist too the right (clockwise) this should do the trick

if both the methods above fail to work ,then your a wimp or the bell housing is cross threaded or welded on .

good luck

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

thanx all :clap2:

success

both spools removed , i was tightening them , oopps .

the red one was harder to un screw , had to jam the pinion . that reel is stiffer to turn and the clutch cant be locked up , even with star wheel tight , still slips a bit .

the clutch on the black one can be set tighter and is a smother reel.

06122012344.jpg

dont know much about the CP .

bought them on a carboot last weekend. seemed to cheep to leave

thanx again .

Hi "Tom Lad", :D

the centrepin is a WR Products "Speedia" and yours looks as if it might be the wide drum version. From what's visible in the photo it looks like it's the "bog standard" version without the drum tensioner and adjustable ratchet. In a reasonable condition this is arguably one of the best centrepins still about today.

It looks as if someone's been at yours with a big brush and pot of black paint but if the drum plates aren't too buckled and it still spins well after a good clean (wash internals with petrol, DRY and then re-oil with sewing machine oil, no grease!), take it to the river and give it a go!

Good luck...nice find!

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

this is what bother's me , is this **** never happens to me ,i've been too & stood on litterly thousends of carboots ,and i've never come across such great reels ,you lucky bugger you got 2 of my favourite reels ,and the 505 aint bad either.

the centrepin is a speedia ,later Gp "improved version" model ,not as refined as a aerial but still one of the best centrepin makes ever .

the other abu reel is a 506 ,a much better model in my opinion ,a more versatile reel .i love these

if you take the side of the 505 ,its probably full of grease ,this can cause the drag system not too work ,or rather work too well and perminantly slip due too the friction band being saturated with grease.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i dair not tell what i paid then as i tink i'll be banned

the brass ( i think ) tube in side the the winder on the 505 has a slight flange at the spring end . prob only .5 mm is this stopping the spring clamping up fully to increase tension , or suppose to be there ? it will only fit one way around due to the flange .

so were saying damp with oil not soaking wet ?/ need some friction to transmit drive ?

i agree shame about the orid paint on the pin , i've managed to get the spring / lever thingy freed off so i can remove the drum, but some thing is dragging / binding . i had lubed with a smeer of molly slip tho to be honest so think i'll have to clean it again .i think that were the clip holds the drum to the shaft is rubbing ?

drum internal is 1 " / 4 " do i measure the drum external or just were the line sits ? which is 2 1/2 "

says WR

SPEEDIA FISHING TACKLE

PRODUCTS

on the back

dont think its smooth / free enough at the moment for trotting .

tom

this is what bother's me , is this **** never happens to me ,i've been too & stood on litterly thousends of carboots ,and i've never come across such great reels ,you lucky bugger you got 2 of my favourite reels ,and the 505 aint bad either.

the centrepin is a speedia ,later Gp "improved version" model ,not as refined as a aerial but still one of the best centrepin makes ever .

the other abu reel is a 506 ,a much better model in my opinion ,a more versatile reel .i love these

if you take the side of the 505 ,its probably full of grease ,this can cause the drag system not too work ,or rather work too well and perminantly slip due too the friction band being saturated with grease.

Nor me :(

All I got was a carp rod :) :)

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

Nice find. I once got a 5" Leeds pin for a fiver, but I'd rather have had the Speedia - well done!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."