The roof

Andrew

Ayjay,

They look tighter that 16" in the photo. Pitch then is a 7:12 (maybe 9:12)

You don't do a ridge board that way because you don't have me standing around as a lad driving you nuts with questions.

Phone

They are tighter than 16", they're @ 400mm :D

Can't remember what pitch that one was, probably about 40° - we don't use your system of grading the pitch, it's always in degrees.

Quick guide to erecting a ridge, needs two men,

determine the length of the ridge and cut it ready

cut 6 common rafters and fix the two end pairs as below

one man in the middle holds one rafter up while the other fixes the foot

dash round the other side and fix the foot of the opposing rafter (leaning against each other at the top)

repeat at the other end of the roof

if it's windy you will need a brace down to the wall plate (but you'd rather not have one)

one man then goes each end of the ridge and pushes it up between the rafters - fix the tops to the ridge

fit the remaining two rafters as crown rafters (off the ends of the ridge)

Have a cup of tea and cut the rest of the roof.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When apprenticed i was very fortunate to work on Durham Uni, stripping and replacing the stones like the one above.

The " real roof " timbers were amazing, all hand shaped by chisel and plane, all old oak purlings <SP> and spars.

The old chap i was working with told me some good old tales about the olden days, Fred, was an old school tradesman, collar and tie, hat and his ever present steel ruler in his overalls. Handy tool for hitting a lippy apprentice with, they bloody hurt. LoL , oh and the billy can had to be rotated at least a half dozen times to get a decent cuppa.

Replacing the ridge was a bloody nightmare, two or three buckets of muck per ridge, !

The old torching was not replaced, modern zylex roofing felt put paid to that.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

IMG_4552-r-1.jpg

where's the safty rail on the scaffold then, tsk tsk tsk. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Sounds easy when you say it like that Ayjay ;)

It is, with a lot of practice. :D

where's the safty rail on the scaffold then, tsk tsk tsk. :lol:

We had a garage instead. :P (Reverse view)

IMG_4558-r.jpg

I did a bell tower on a local church a while ago for English Heritage.

Before

bellspire.jpg

A couple after.

cimg0020g.jpg

cimg0018d.jpg

Damn cold up there as it was just after Christmas a couple of years ago.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Are those them foreign slates , good job mate, did you do the lead work also.

I used to love doing the Church roofs, a nice Gothic pitch sure does do the ankles good, LoL

QUOTE (barry luxton @ Dec 7 2012, 05:43 PM) *

where's the safty rail on the scaffold then, tsk tsk tsk.

Good God, lets hope the HSE are not looking in. ;)

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Are those them foreign slates , good job mate, did you do the lead work also.

. ;)

Hi Andrew.

No they are not those foreign slates.

They are Cumbrian natural slate, hard as stone and when tapped they ring like stone as well. Bugger to cut as they are so hard.

Being Heritage they wanted traditional tools and methods. Easy to say but not so easy to do.

Dave

Edited by fisherman
ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

I must admit i dont like the foreign slates.

Those slates must be from the slate quarry where the owner died in an helicopter crash ?

They sure do look a very thick slate. Bet they took a lot out of the pick when you dressed them.

What did you use to cut them? i still prefer to use the old slate knife, its older then me, got it off my old mate Fred as a present when i finished my time.

Edited by Andrew

“Vescere bracis meis”