The use of "Spot Colour" in photography ?

Snatcher

I have never been a fan of "spot colour" in photography and had therefore never tried it before. I just happened to be sorting some photo files out yesterday on my passport hard drive when for some reason I thought of that technique when looking at a picture of Beverly Minster I had taken. Its certainly not a difficult technique to apply but I still cannot decide if I like it or not.

IMG_3590withframereduced.jpg

What do you think ? It certainly has its uses to the professionals as they can highlight products using it. I am still sitting on the fence on this one :rolleyes:

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That works for me Steve :)

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Some would say that spot colour is soooooo yesterday.

I would say that ANY edit you find imroves the impact is valid, as long as YOU feel it achieves an object

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

I have never been a fan of "spot colour" in photography and had therefore never tried it before.

What do you think ? It certainly has its uses to the professionals as they can highlight products using it. I am still sitting on the fence on this one :rolleyes:

John

For me, I think it would look better if the rest of the pic was sepia rather than B&W, but that's just me.and I might change my mind if I saw it. :unsure:

Is that really Beverly or is it Beverley? ;)

Looks interesting and I do use spot colour myself for certain images but I'd like to see the full colour image as well to compare.

As an example, heres a similar one from me (only a quick conversion mind)

yorkminster1.jpg

and the full colour version

yorkminster2.jpg

personally i prefer the full colour jobby myself in the above instance.

Edited by snakey1

I know what spot colour is in CMYK printing. What is it in photography?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Snakey1,

First one is more impressive.

Snatcher,

I like it. It would be really intense if you could produce the illusion of distance like a stereoscope does. I think that's the right effect I'm suggesting? The effect/affect of the railroad tracks coming together in a distance. What's that called? If you tried to make it look like a half mile to the colUoUr. (dam "U" goes in there somewhere).

Play with my perceptive vision - dark to light to color - or - light to dark to color.

Phone

Here you go Ayjay,the original of Beverley - spelt correctly this time :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

IMG_3590jpgr-for-web.jpg

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair