Wingham Fish-In dates 2013

Steve Burke

Returned my questionnaire too, and starting to turn my mind to tactics!

I can't help feeling that with the late spring this year and probably lower water temps than we normally have at the fish-in that a maggot feeder approach might be best this year for the tench; maybe over some light groundbait or some spodded hemp.

What do the experts think ?

Mat

Mat

Actually Phone, for this event they will. Since its a members only fishery except for the one weekend and since it is only lightly fished (4-5 people fishing the two lakes on any one day is almost a crowd), there is no reason to keep tactics a secret. In fact, the more catches during the fishin the merrier so Steve and the Wingham members are anxious that everyone catch as many and as big as possible.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't help feeling that with the late spring this year and probably lower water temps than we normally have at the fish-in that a maggot feeder approach might be best this year for the tench; maybe over some light groundbait or some spodded hemp.

Sounds like a sensible approach to me Mat!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A quick question for anyone who has done more perch fishing than me. Previously when targetting perch at Wingham I have fished a normal running rig with a lob worm on a number 6 hook tipped with a fake red maggot to keep the worm on and a small PVA bag of maggots to add attraction and help stop everything tangling. For indication of basically set the bobbin almost touching the floor (a running rig shouldn't give a drop back bite) but not touching the floor so I avoid a change in tension, I fished with a baitrunner on it's most sensitive setting.

Can anyone suggest any changes to this?

Edit - I'm if I get a spot and get into a perch swim that I wno't be fishing beyond 30metres but if I did would you switch from a running rig to a maggot feeder with red maggots on the hook?

Edited by Errrm

I'd use a running rig either way, I think to be honest whether you use a feeder, a lead + PVA bag, or a lead + catapulting loosefeed over the top is down to personal preference. Ditto whether you use worm or maggot on the hook. If I was fishing more for the perch than the other species, I'd go with lobworm, probably with a running feeder, regardless of distance. (Or a float, if the swim suits.)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

For some reason I have caught more Perch at Wingham on a Worm/Corn combination rather then Worm/Maggot. I can't give a reason as to why, so I tend to use corn to help keep the worm on. The eels also like the Worm/Corn combination and Budgie explained before about something in corn that eels like. Might it be the same for Perch? Or maybe its just the colour they home in on.

Neil, it does not sounds like you are to much wrong. Personaly I would keep the bobbin higher up as you can get drop backs on running rigs. If out and out Perching then I do prefer light bobbins but like heavy for Tench/Bream so it can be a bit of a compromise unless you are willing to change indicators when you are targeting different species. It is worth remembering that the Perch at Wingham are not pressured and you can often get away with tackle and tactics that might not work on other waters.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Most of my big Wingham perch have fallen to worms when targeting other species! I have had a few up to 2lb on float fished maggot later in the year (the "maggot bashing" with a float can be superb after late June until September but absolutely dire out side of this slot!) BUT from what I have gleaned from that one time famous devotee of Perching, the Burkester!, depth can be the biggest thing in locating and successfully catching the big perch intentionally.As such I would strongly recommend that people wanting to target a big stripey should have a chat (and above all listen to) with the boss and go prepared to float fish worms.

The weather between now and the Fish In will ultimately dictate if we have it away this year or struggle. I will be having my first "session" trip for either the eels or tench (conditions will dictate) next week so lets see what that brings.

Lake wise after the extended cold period we've had this "spring" we are now thanks to the past few weeks starting to see some green on the vegetation and the water temps starting to pick up.Despite the warm sunshine we had a few weeks ago the nights were cold and these cancelled out any of the days warmth! However as said the nights are warming up a bit so I really believe the Tench should start showing well very soon. The Carp have woken up on both lakes with the years first 40 coming from the Carp Lake and our Dave H being "plagued" by a couple of low 20's on the Course Lake whilst trying to open his Tench account for the year. Glyn (after several totally blank trips) took his first Tench of the year a few days back at just over 8lb.

The past couple of days have been glorious here in Kent and although Wingham is slightly cooler (on average thanks to the NE winds its prone to) than where I am in Ashford, Glyn and Terry have been hitting the grass mowing hard. Hopefully we are getting on track for having the place up to standard! Water clarity is very good at the moment and although there is still quite a bit of last years (dead) weed on the bottom its not problematical.

On the Fish-in this year I will be bivvying up over on the Carp Lake again and be having a go for the eels (blooming carp permitting!) As far as you guys are concerned this means that I will be available all day from when I wake/get up (about 9) until I start to fish (around 7 in the evening) so if you need a hand with anything you wont be interfering with my fishing so just ask!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sweetcorn is very high in the Amino Acid Lyscine that is apparently very attractive to predators.

The eels also like the Worm/Corn combination and Budgie explained before about something in corn that eels like. Might it be the same for Perch?

Been a lot of talk re running rig v fixed recently. My preference for running rigs (when using delicate baits) is simply so I know (or can least hazzard a good guess!) if I have bait on the hook or not! Small fish etc can soon strip even the biggest hook of bread/worms/maggott/casters and on a fixed lead rig you just aint going to know its happened! At least on a running rig you will be able to see the little knocks and bumps.

I'd use a running rig either way,

• Like 1