Wingham Fish-In dates 2013

Steve Burke

I've found an ultra short hooklenght on a semi fixed weight is best to lip hook snig. A m8 of mine (miroku) uses a very short wire bottom and lip hooked all the eels he caught at Wingham. He could unhook them using forceps (long nosed pliers) without even fully removing them from the water.

I was fishing 20ft away from addict- Rik on Sunday when he had two eels...we weighed one at 4lb 2 ounce and another a bit smaller but we didn't weigh it as we could see it was lighter....I reckon about 3 1/2lb. The larger one was a very unusual colour being sky blue and having a dark grey marbelling ....like a python !! I've never seen a eel of that colouration before...it was very interesting.

It was certainly a very good looking eel if there is such a thing. Never seen anything like it. Maybe it will show up again. I am regretting turning down the picture opporunity but being wet through and wind swept I wanted to crack on lol. No doubt I wll return there very soon so I may yet get another chance for a pic. Wont say no next time!

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

For what it's worth, both my 6pounders were caught on method feeder laced with red maggots...during the day. Actually, all my 5+ eels were caught during daylight. As Tigs says, 3/4" hooklengths, never deep hooked.

The ratio of 5+ to smaller ones was very low, maybe 1 in 20?

Not from Wingham, but not to far away as the crow flies, and like Wingham, closely linked to the Stour.

August

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

These are very interesting. I had this discussion recently on the eel club on Face book with the other lads including budgie. What I found that using a roll over but with a closed bail arm and the bait runner on a very weak setting could also act as a bolt rig but better in the way that the amount of slack can be determined by the slack given up on the depth of the line off the arm. In effect you are creating a hook length above water and you can also see the movement if there is something there by looking at the roll over slack. It may just have the same effect as a weighted swinger but it could be set much more sensitively. However the open bail arm has been used for a very long time as the norm so it would be interesting to see if somebody has a case for it over the bolt rig

I was surprised how many preferred the bolt hook length method over the bail arm. Interesting :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Dave this thread has turned into a very interesting one.

I intend to do a lot more eeling this summer as I too find them fascinating.

My post last night was not mean't to decry anyones catches espescially addicted to scopex. There are few anglers I believe these days about weight but without even meeting many here there are many i would totally believe. Addicted you are one.

Using short hooklengths is ceratinly something I will straight away try.

I don't think many anglers realise what they have locally in the way of big eels. I think there are hidden waters with big eels all over the country. A little match lake near me turned up a 10lb 1oz fish a few years back. Yes a 10lb 1 fish properly weighed because it was a match. Previously the water had no eel history.

John

John

I must admit to finding all this "tech talk" about eels all a bit over the top. If an eel wants to eat your bait then it will, the type of indicator will have no affect whatsoever :) Just give it the chance to get the bait in its mouth, and it will (if big enough) pull your rod in!

Den

• Like 1

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Glad to see some one else thinks there is a lot of fathing about with bite indication for eels. I tend to agree with Den, if they are hungry and near enough they will take your bait. Can't say I am an experienced eel angler but have caught a good number in recent years and have yet to feel I missed a fish due to bite indication being to subtle, I am surprised the Roll Overs have caught on in eel fishing and can't imagine I would ever need or want to fish open bail arm. Might be the usual thing of over complicating a simple process.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have the zandavan rollovers and find them very interesting for all species at certain times. However like dales I have found eels to either want it or not. I do think we can over complicate things sometimes but the use of the rollover does not comprimise fishing in any way and I do enjoy using them. When I first bought them I tried for bream etc and found far more positive takes. The reason I did this was to practice with them. Bream and skimmer bites are easier to get than bigg eel bites.

Its easy to setup a rollover so maybe we should question why not to do it.

I mostly fish running leads so maybe that is why the rollovers work for me.

John

John, I am not questioning why use Roll Overs for fishing in general and if you have them why not use them. For Zander/Perch and maybe to a lesser extent Pike they could offer a lot. It sounds like you have found a use for them for Bream aswell. However for eel fishing they might be a little bit of a red herring. I openly admit to not being an eel guy and just an all rounder but it does seem like a lot of eel anglers have got hung up about bite indication. It certainly is important to register a bite early to try to avoid them swallowing hooks but I am not so sure that Roll Overs get more bites/less dropped runs then other methods. Now if we are talking Zeds , even with out using them I can see the advantages.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I dont think any indicator is going to affect whether an eel (or any other fish) actually picks up your bait! But the choice of indication can certainly affect if you hook it or not and of course where you hook it!

The WHOLE point of the Rollover is to be able to do away with the line clip and the resulting change of resistance you get when the line cones out of a clip. It is quite common for eels to drop the bait if they have not allready swallowed it. As such its all ways a juggling act so that neither are a problem!

HOWEVER I (and many others who fish for eels) are now looking more towards the rig itself to solve these two issues.The bolt rig (at least with smaller baits) certainly achieves this. It hooks the eel before it feels any change of resistance so it doesnt drop the bait/hook and this also avoids deep hooking.

I totally agree with Dens findings with maggots on bolt rig feeder set ups.Myself and Andrew had very similar experiences at Wingham whilst fishing maggot feeders and method feeders fished bolt style with very short hook lengths. The eel angling world in general has looked towards using adapted CD rigs with very short hook links to achieve the same. It certainly seems to work, But your never going to be able to get the same result when using BIG bunches of worms (or maybe just worms in general?) live or dead fish baits! Simply because these baits cant just be taken in one mouthfull like a bunch of maggots can.

We must stop a moment and consider that the experiences we are discussing and drawing conclusions on are (whilst being usefull and very relevant) being based on specific situations! Den with his maggots on a method rig and relatively small worm baits on a water (ie Wingham) where we cant use fish baits! For a lot of eel anglers/on a lot of waters it would simply not be practical to target eels (well big eels) on small baits.

I think there is still a lot of experimentation to do to get the "hooked but not deep hooked" issue sorted and think that its going to be a combination of things that achieve (if ever) this rather than just an indicator, piece of tackle or a rig.

• Like 1

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!