Wingham Fish-In dates 2013

Steve Burke

Can we say that the method of free running rigs has no future anymore apart from trotting etc. Why not just use a longer hook length for bream and be done away with the free running rig?

What about the case for the Perch for instance as is this any different to the eel ?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I must admit to finding all this "tech talk" about eels all a bit over the top. If an eel wants to eat your bait then it will, the type of indicator will have no affect whatsoever :) Just give it the chance to get the bait in its mouth, and it will (if big enough) pull your rod in!

Den

Exactly right...lets face it eels arn't exactly line shy. Imo they're one of the easiest fish to catch if you know a water that contains them.

Every rig, bait, indicator, method has a purpose and use. For my pennies worth for eels when you are using certain baits as we are at Wingham I don't see what advantage the Roll Over offers. If fishing maggots the short bolt rig works so well avoiding deep hooking that in my mind I don't see the point of fishing a running rig and risking deep hooking. What ever bite indication you have will not make much difference, that's not to say don't use Roll Overs if you want but I don't think it will make your set up better.

Budgie laid out better then I could that the method has its limitations, the bigger the baits the more that method presents problems. If fishing lives or deads which for the eel fishing at Wingham I can't then I can see the advantage of the Roll Over hence why suggesting the Zander/Perch but my experiences at Wingham on maggot and Worm is that they take the bait and no dropped runs.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Aha! now I am going to complicate things a bit :bones: I tried small fish baits/slivers of herring etc to try to avoid tench and roach/rudd etc. Got loads of action, tug,tug followed by good steady (sometimes not so steady) runs, but rarely hooked them. Baits chewed to bits, chunks eaten out..V shaped like the eels mouth :)

Strangely though, most of the ones I DID catch on fish baits, were smaller than the average, so I went back to the maggots. Not what some may want when targetting just Eels, but caught a lot of very fine specimans of other species whilst trying :)

Great fun :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Free running has always baffled me a bit for many a year. Apart from Pike where you can see drop backs I see no need for it. Finicky fish like bream all that is needed is a longer 18 inch rig before the weight hooks the fish where the more prolific dustbin carp a much shorter link

Free running has always baffled me a bit for many a year. Apart from Pike where you can see drop backs I see no need for it. Finicky fish like bream all that is needed is a longer 18 inch rig before the weight hooks the fish where the more prolific dustbin carp a much shorter link

Depends on if you want to go fishing or just set a few traps.

John

Depends on if you want to go fishing or just set a few traps.

John

I don't agree with that John. Most of my fishing is trotting but at this time of year I do practice some other fishing methods. Personally I think that even when fishing a running rig the fish is hooked before the angler strikes anyhow. Imo the semi fixed rig is simply a way of getting more hook-ups and less deep hooked fish. Each to their own at the end of the day but in reality a lot of fishing is setting a trap....even a running rig.

Steve. I think this thread has gone a bit off topic even though interesting . I can see you getting no applications for the Fish in as the lakes are full of pesky eels and nothing more :shutup:

Sorry about that :doh:

Edit...just thought more space for me and dale to creep in!

Carry on everybody :yahoo:

Edited by Dave H

Steve. I think this thread has gone a bit off topic even though interesting . I can see you getting no applications for the Fish in as the lakes are full of pesky eels and nothing more :shutup:

Sorry about that :doh:

Edit...just thought more space for me and dale to creep in!

Carry on everybody :yahoo:

I like eels as well :-). I don't know if I would sacrifice fishing for the perch and tench to fish for the eels instead but I could possibly be pursuaded lol :-)