Drennan matchpro / matchpro ultralight

Steve Walker

I don't need a new float rod, you understand...

Sorry Steve, you've lost me there...!

I have to be very strict with myself versus wants and needs, or else I would be living in a cardboard box with nowhere to store my fishing rods!

(I could make a stronger case for needing a Daiwa 125M, though :D )

I have to be very strict with myself versus wants and needs, or else I would be living in a cardboard box with nowhere to store my fishing rods!

(I could make a stronger case for needing a Daiwa 125M, though :D )

Don't worry, if it comes to that, I'll look after them for you :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest 1lastcast
Bump - nobody any experience of these rods?

Got the DRX 14' Utralight, and a very fine rod it is too, it seems to cast where you need to be without much effort. Not used it much to date as it was a summer purchase (s/h).

Steve

to me a lot of the pleasure of fishing is also enjoying using the right, balanced, and nice to handle equipment. If it was all about the catch we would use overkill equipment to make sure we did not lose it.

A lightweight properly balanced rod which you enjoy holding trotting or waggler fishing is enjoyment in its self.

Buy it mate you know you will love it

John

• Like 1

I was picking up some bits from my local tackle emporium the other day and found myself having a wee waggle of these. They feel rather nice, anyone got one? I liked the feel of the ultralight, but the shop bloke reckoned the standard rod was better for trotting.

I don't need a new float rod, you understand, I have an old 13 foot Browning jobby which is perfectly adequate, but I do quite fancy something a bit nicer, maybe with an extra foot or two of length. I do like Drennan rods...

that must have been a terrifying and traumatic experience.

• Like 2

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Cheers Mike!

Does it pick up line decently at range? I would use it for trotting for grayling, roach, perch, and probably chub fishing with something like a couple of maggots on a strong #16 to a 3lb bottom, but not for targeting big fish in snags. I'd also use it for general waggler fishing for roach, perch and rudd where there is a chance of larger fish but they aren't the target.

Depends what you mean by range ! the swims i fish don't usually allow more than 30metres and it picks up well. I usually use it with my trusty mitchell match and 3lb mainline and feels nicely balanced. If I do get kippered by decent fish it's usually my own damn fault when a chub spots a snag right under my rod tip before I do!

mike

• Like 1

Darling wife has taken me away to a very fancy country hotel to celebrate my 40th.

I have just picked up the tab for (a really outstandingly good, but still...) dinner in said fancy country hotel, which came to about £150 for two people.

Price of new rod put into context - will be picking one up on Monday and ordering an Abu 706 to go with it!