Which hook knot do you use?

davedave

Hi all,

I was trying a new line (drennan series 7) out when fishing yesterday, and found when tieing the hook knot the last inch or so would kink. The line I was using was 3.4lb but had a very thin diameter, I normally use maxima and very rarely do I find the line kinks when tieing hooks. One of the regulars on the lake came round and showed me a knot he used, and without lubricating it it tied prefectly, he said it was one he had always used but couldn't remember what it was called.

So now i'm thinking I should be using a better knot for tieing eyed hooks. I've always used the half tucked blood:

knot_tucked.jpg

It's a knot i've always used, and to be fair, it is quite strong and i've never really had a problem losing fish because of it, but i'm not sure if it gives the best presentation. Which knot do you use for tieing eyed hooks? Would I be better off with a grinner knot?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

For swivels its the knotless knot for mono and palomar for braid. For hooks I use a hook tyer as I dont use eyed hooks unless I am (very rarely these days) fishing with a hair rig in which case it is the knotless knot again.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I use a 4 turn Grinner knot whenever I am tying eyed hooks and swivels. I can tie it blindfold and I like the way the loose end lays alongside the Mainline instead of sticking out sideways like it does on a blood knot; plus a Grinner knot is not a strangulation knot (unlike a blood knot) so doesn't weaken the line as much as a blood knot.

I have never tied a Palomar knot but I have heard that this is also a very reliable knot.

For those who don't know the Grinner knot was named after Richard Walkers son who's nickname was Grinner.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

For hair rigs I always use the knotless knot. For swivels it's the Palomar. For all other hook knots I use my trusty Matchman Hook Tyer. Never had any problems with any of them on nearly 60 years

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

davedave,

You don't give us much information about what it is you want to accomplish.

Knots should accomplish more than one thing. First, of course, is to secure the hook to the line. But hook presentation is also determined by the knot.

No knot I know of "causes" line to kink. That is an angler error. Usually because you've pulled both ends at the same time. That's a no-no!

A palomar knot is VERY strong but gives you a "blob" at the hook eye. I wouldn't think this would be desireable if you are dink fishing. Equally, if you are dink fishing I doubt if you could even make a granny knot fail. So, smooth, straight, controlled and presentation of the hook is probably the most important aspect of knot choice. This is true IMO for all hook presentations.

Now, it is not the only knot I use but a knot called a "Trilene" is the one I use most often, but remember, I only fish for larger fish. However, you cannot tie it in a sloppy fashion and expect it to lay smoothly. Second most common is a "double Palomar" and my most frequent 3rd choice is a "loop and hitch". Notice, all three require going through the eye of the hook TWICE. That's not always an option. Lastly, if you can only go through the eye once it's really hard to beat a good ole clinch knot.

Again, the problem you describe is 100% angler error.

Phone

For mono, if there is room to go through the eye twice I use a knotless knot and then just trim the hair off. Super strong and excellent presentation

If I can only put the line through once I use a tucked half blood knot.

From choice I like to tie my knots in comfort and with warm hands so I tend to tie up a supply to various length hooklinks and store them in gripseal bags.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/