Another Newby

Trotters

Hi Newt

Looked at those dogs on wiki p. Crazy eyes, recon they would liven things up over here. Interested to read they climb fences and trees. I bred a litter of Springher Spaniels one time they could climb a 6 foot Chicken wire fence, they could hardly see but they really could climb. Are you in the area where they shoot turkeys??? i subscribed for a while to North American Hunter magazine read a fare bit on the subject. Sitting in a hide with a semi auto shot gun and telescopic site, really do'nt think they would let us do that sort of thing over here. Powers that be are just a bunch of kill joys. Rabbit shooting thats something else,I love it but theres not so many around, at times, my all time favourite shooting sport is pigeon shooting either decoying them in or roost shooting under trees at dusk and good to eat.

Down and gone for now.

Trots

Turkeys and white tail deer are both popular around here. The last few years I actively hunted I went after both but with a bow.

note to any UK readers who don't speak any American - when we speak of shooting, it normally means targets while hunting is for any legal game with gun or bow. We rarely go after foxes (I never have and don't know anyone who has) so "hunting" never implies fox hunting.

I've never shot pigeons. Did quite a bit of dove hunting when I was younger. They are fast & agile and I usually shot about a box of shotgun shells before I settled down and actually hit some birds. :D :D

If conditions here were similar to yours, I suspect most of my sea fishing and much of my fresh water fishing would be with bait rather than lures. The reverse is probably true if you lived over here. Conditions are just too different for any real comparison.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

no no, just got the feel from were and how you fish, bristol channel, 18lb is a heck of a fish from that area. Most of my plastic fishing is over the wrecks so the fish are queing up for an artificial feed. Up and down the channel. When they first came out jelly worms where the buisiness, still are, now guys prefer to spend a lot more on shads sidewinders etc etc. Doing the same job.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Newt

Your last paragraph sums it up. Horses for courses, I have seen some of the arrows for bow hunting pretty effective pieces of ordinance. Does anyone control foxes ( I guess yoou have some) in rural areas?

Regs

Trots

Hi BL

I have fished allover with Jelly worms Shads and the like (well from Drumore in Scotland to Porthcurno in Cornwall) from Charter boats, one of my own and other peoples privately owned boats and I must agree for that they are a superb way of taking Pollack Coalies Cod and the like.The 18lbs,er was some time ago and was on a wreck down Channel from Minehead.

Back in the 1970s I remember spinning with a natural Redgill they were very much the fashion then, the smallest size would have been about 4inches. I often fished a particular rock mark where Mackerel for the BBQ was pretty much a given, If you fished a summers evening, just before dark, and on a dropping tide. The accepted method was to rig a frozen sand eel, early days of Ammo as well, on a 4 foot trace under 2oz of lead. the favoured rod something like a carp rod. i graduated to a Derek Townsend Bare Bones Bass rod, which I still have about somewhere, albeit has been rebuilt a few times its a very good Conoflex blank.

As I said if you used a Frozen sand eel you had continual sport. Feeling clever, I thought, use the redgill save on time rigging natuals and save on bait. Well I saved on bait but lost out on mackerel. No matter how I fished it Deep,shallow fast or slow. the mackerell woould follow, usually in groups or small shoals, they would look but not take.

This happened so much that I was writing a script in my head as to what they were comunicating to each other.

" What the hell's that mate." ...."I do'nt know, D'ya think we can eat it. " "Sure as Hades beats me." ....... "You taste."...." Why me you're closest." .... "Nah.. Tain't natural"... By which time the cast was reeled in and the lure was out the water, the shoal swimming off with an air of releif..., Put on a frozen sand eel and you were back in business...... Mind you its hard to catch them from here on feathers as well.

Just a tale from way back

regs

Trots

Trotters,

I too am a Yank. Newt is from East of the Mississippi, I am West of the Mississippi. While we both have foxes - fox hunting never got a foothold in the States. What few are harvested are trapped for pelts. I've taken my fair share of fox but I have never shot one. Trapping is pretty much a lost art in the 21st century.

We, Americans, used to "hunt" coyote with guns. Pretty much the usefulness of predators in keeping the balance of nature has caught on. Not many coyote hunters anymore either. (they once carried a $5.00 bounty for both ears).

As for Newt and his bow and arrows. While it is quite popular I say - Bosh!! It's sort of like fishing with a centerpin instead of a fishing reel. We have plenty of perfectly good guns around. ha ha

We hunt "coon" in a sporting mannor similar to your fox hunting of the past execpt hounds tree coons. (See coon dogs) I can't remember the last coon we killed for the pot either. Mostly just treed 'em.

Phone

Hi Phone

Don't want to shock you too much but when I fish for coarse fish on the rivers here I fish with a centrepin (I possible). You do get a lot of control over the fish.

I was interested in yoou mentioning Coyote boounties, My father in law told me that when he was a young man (1930's) they would get a bounty for rat tails. He had a good ratting dog. A nighhtwatchman in a local chocolate factory could get a better bounty for the Tails so they would collect them for him and share the booty. On one occaision the had collected the rats alive for him, I guess there was a reason we will not go into here, they were to meet him in a local bar where he would pay them. This was before the days of everyone having a motor car so they had to take the sack of live rats in the pub to wait for the Nightwatchman to turn up. You have guessed it the rats chewed their way out of the sack and were on the loose. The dog dashing this way and that killing rats one after the other. Tables and drink falling in all directions, the dog proved her worth but they were barred from the bar.

Regs

Trots

LOL - the sight of the dog killing rats in a crowded pub would have been one to remember forever. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...