Luncheon Meat Virgin

msutton

Had a day float fishing last week at one of my local club still waters. I fancied a break from piking and I decided to set off with my heaviest float rod and do a bit of tench fishing.

First cast was 7:30am and the lake was already full of people fishing (mid week too!). I decided on a Drennan 1.5BB waggler shotted mainly around the base to 3lb main line. Size 16 barbless hook and a nice chunk of Plumrose luncheon meat. I was laying on about 3 inches.

I forgot about groundbait but in the end this probably worked to my advantage as the fish seemed to hone in on the loose feed much quicker.

After about 10 minutes my float bobbed.

2 minutes later it started to move off very slowly in the opposite direction to the surface drift.

After a quick flick of the rod tip I was into my first tench of the year. A 7 minute scrap (on 3lb line) saw me land a 3lb 2oz fish in beautiful condition. Not bad for my first ever catch on luncheon meat in 15 years of fishing!

The rest of the session saw roach to just under 1lb, perch to .5lb and numerous other small tench and bream. All on meat.

For all the pleasure I get from piking, it still feels amazing to catch tench of any size especially on a totally new bait.

I'm getting up at 3am (4 hours time) and heading down to the same lake for first light. Can't wait. I'll post some pics if I get a decent fish as the wife is coming this time as camerawoman!

I guess I'm a lucky man if my wife is getting up at that time to come fishing, do your wives/husbands do that guys?

:)

BTW, do any of you rate Van den Eynde Expo for tench? I've heard it works well but never tried it, I tend to use Sensas Lake for a cloudy still water which smells great - even to me.

I,ve been fishing a few commerials recently as I have finished pike fishing till Sept now and enjoyed but dont tell anyone, I was put on a liver catmeat sausage thingy by my local tackle dealer I thought he was just after selling something to me but honestly I caught well using it, the times out I,ve been using bacon grill, luncheon meat, black pudding but the only bait I caught on was the liver catmeat style bait.My wife loves fishing but wont get up early

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

Phew, after reading the title of the thread I was about to warn you to be careful not to catch your todger on the opened tin, they can be bloody sharp.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.