Greetings from Australia

ArtfulAngler

Hi everyone, am living in Sydney now but must say missing my Chub, Barbel and Carp.

There is some great sea fishing out here, but what annoys me is the huge Carp potential. My local lakes hold fish to at least 50lb ! .... but Carp are seen as a pest and its against the law to let them go. Fair enough to help protect the native species, but still, being an ex-pat and lover of Carp its a hard one to take and the business opportunity for the Aussies to introduces some kind of controlled Carp fishing is a shame to miss out on.

Incidently, I recently updated my site www.artfulangler.co.uk. Be great to hear some thoughts / feedback.

Attached is a nice Australia Salmon from Royal National Park, Garie Beach, NSW. Caught on Pilchard casting straight off the beach

image16.jpg

Tight Lines!

Matt

www.artfulangler.co.uk

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Quite a few members here either living in OZ or who have family down there.

As to the carp thing, I agree it is sad. I don't know the real situation there but I know that over here, we have quite a few anti-carp folks and yet I don't recall ever seeing a water of any size where they caused problems. They just sorta co-exist with whatever else calls that piece of water home.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I live near a large set of lakes at Centennial Park and often go down and feed the carp. There are some huge fish and must say very healthy looking fish. Generally there seems to be a large population of carp and I am sure if they saw them as that much of a pest they would have got rid of them by now. Another area with a good head of Carp is Kangaroo Valley a little further south.

The main concern with the Aussies is the threat to native species and Carp polishing up all the natural food to sustain them. The way I see it is they arent cauing that much of a problem and the Aussies are missing out on a huge 'financial' opportunity to stock private lakes with Carp and let the ex-pats (such as me) fish for them. Tackle suppliers could then make a killing !

Hi, I'm in SA, you can still fish for carp, you just have to eat them or put them back dead. The're ruining the river Murray.

there is a company making use of them, they make a garden fertilizer called Charlie carp and i believe the cray fishing fleet use them as bait in their pots.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Artful,

Ahh - lifes little delimas. Notice under my name to the left I am not in England either, nor am I English. Carp are wonderful fish - my favorite quarry. Sometimes to much wonderful is awful. Englishmen ex-pats in both the US and in OZ sometimes have a difficult time understanding nature getting out of balance. You have lot of examples of this in OZ without pointing out the problems with carp - just as we do in the US.

Not having been to OZ I have to cite carp examples here in the US. Take a look at this http://utahlake.gov/fish-be-gone-two-years-in-carp-removal-continues-at-utah-lake/ . About 40 million more pounds of adult carp have to be removed @ $0.20 per pound to give this lake a chance. This is a real strain on the state's natural resources budget. Would you like another dozen similar examples?

Carp in the US and OZ are by NO No no means "a huge 'financial' opportunity".

Don't worry, all the money in the world can't eradicate carp once they are established. It's going to take a lot to simply control this opportunistic species as they become naturalized.

You sound very English. Carp are just fish - and sometimes a pest at that. That doesn't mean for the most part they can't become a balanced part of the ecology. Carp are the strongest most willing sport fish to which an everyday bank angler can be exposed.

Phone

• 3 weeks later...