Your Main-line BRAIDS: Which one(s)? For what? Why? Cost?

The Diamond Geezer

Your Main-line BRAIDS:

Which one(s) do you use?

For what method/ which species?

Why do use you braid?

What does it cost?

For me, compared with traditional nylon homo~polymer or even modern hi-tech nylon co-polymer monofilament main-lines, for some styles of fishing, these Spectra®™ and/or Dyneema®™ HPPE multifilament braided main-lines are both a revolution and perhaps a rip-off too.

Most of all, it's almost impossible to know what to believe and which one(s) to choose.

.............................. Posted Image

If you do use these braids as main-lines, what kinds of fishing do you use them for and why? Which one(s) do you recommend/not recommend, and why?

Also, roughly how much per yard or per metre are you paying for your favourite braid? (e.g. compared with your fave main-line mono)

DG :confused:

[ 29. February 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DG.Imust confess that I only seem to use my braided mainline when bream fishing(not very often),and when in Ireland,again bream fishing.

I have found that it does take some getting used to,but the bites are a lot easier to read from shy biting bream and hybrids.Think mine cost around £20,which isnt cheap compared to nylon,how that works out per metre against nylon i dont know!!,maths is not my strong point :( I have not used it for chub etc,but my mate uses braid a lot both on rivers and still water and he swears by it.

Fox Submerge 15lb & Drennan Feeder 8lb and 6lb

Tench, Bream, Perch, Chub, Barbel & Roach

Far better sensitivity for indicating bites and playing fish when compared to mono

£35 for 250M for the Submerge & £10 per 100M fro the Drennan Feeder

quote:

Originally posted by chuby:

Hi DG.Imust confess that I only seem to use my braided mainline when bream fishing(not very often),and when in Ireland,again bream fishing.

I have found that it does take some getting used to,but the bites are a lot easier to read from shy biting bream and hybrids.

Think mine cost around £20,which isnt cheap compared to nylon,

I have not used it for chub etc,but my mate uses braid a lot both on rivers and still water and he swears by it.

chuby

Many thanks for that feedback. Posted Image Interesting that you mainly use braid for breaming and in Ireland ... on the big rivers like the Shannon perhaps?

I agree with you that it isn't cheap. BTW, which brand(s) do you use?

DG

[ 01. March 2004, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Nellist:

Fox Submerge 15lb & Drennan Feeder 8lb and 6lb

Tench, Bream, Perch, Chub, Barbel & Roach

Far better sensitivity for indicating bites and playing fish when compared to mono

£35 for 250M for the Submerge & £10 per 100M for the Drennan Feeder

Thanks very much, Andy, for that info.

10p/metre for Drennan Feeder sounds vey reasonable.

Sounds as though the fact that braids have almost-zero abrasion-resistance isn't something that bothers you

Hiding your legal-hat for a second or two, are there any braids you have tried and wouldn't recommend?

Thanks again

Most useful

Posted Image

DG

[ 01. March 2004, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi DG.The braid i am using is Feeder Tec.Perhaps I should follow my mate and use it more often.Think my main worry is being too brutish sometimes when playing,say chub,which are my main quarry;concerned about breaking off.

Chuby.

quote:

Originally posted by chuby:

The braid i am using is Feeder Tec.

Perhaps I should follow my mate and use it more often.

Think my main worry is being too brutish sometimes when playing,say chub,which are my main quarry;concerned about breaking off.

Chuby.

Hi chuby

Hmmmh ... Feeder Tec ..don't know that one. I'll have to see if I can find-out more about it

Thanks again v muchly

DG

[ 01. March 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG - I use 4lb B/S Fireline on my Centrepin. Reasons - it floats and is easy to 'mend' and lack of stretch makes for great pick up when trotting at distance. I last paid £7.50 for 125yards (on e-bay) - the only time I've purchased it in this country - think I've paid about 11USD for the same amount in the past....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Plumb:

I use 4lb B/S Fireline on my Centrepin.

Reasons - it floats and is easy to 'mend' and lack of stretch makes for great pick up when trotting at distance.

I last paid £7.50 for 125yards (on e-bay) - the only time I've purchased it in this country - think I've paid about 11USD for the same amount in the past....

Chris

Hi, Chris,

Thanks for that info ... very useful. eBay sounds another smart way of getting good value.

Fireline is Berkley, isn't it? Isn't that what's called a fusion-braid? ... sort-of half-way between a mono and a braid. I should think it works well for your trotting and mending ... I think that's def'ly worth a try.

Thanks again

DG

[ 01. March 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]