Your Main-line BRAIDS: Which one(s)? For what? Why? Cost?

The Diamond Geezer

DG,

I have one centrepin loaded with 6lb Fireline for trotting. Reasons - floats, no stretch, and because of both it has really fast pickup.

I have another centrepin loaded with 10lb Powerpro, for margin float fishing for carp and tench. Reason - cuts through lilies and reeds far better than mono. I'm fishing very close to either.

I have a baitrunner loaded with 20lb Fireline, for floater fishing for carp. Reason - floats, no stretch, therefore fast pick at distance.

All my braids have been bought in the US.

Does that help?

Paul

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Paulg:

DG,

I have one centrepin loaded with 6lb Fireline for trotting. Reasons - floats, no stretch, and because of both it has really fast pickup.

I have another centrepin loaded with 10lb Powerpro, for margin float fishing for carp and tench. Reason - cuts through lilies and reeds far better than mono. I'm fishing very close to either.

I have a baitrunner loaded with 20lb Fireline, for floater fishing for carp. Reason - floats, no stretch, therefore fast pick at distance.

All my braids have been bought in the US.

Does that help?

Paul

Hi, Paul!

Yup, that's a big help ... very useful.

I see you're another fan of Fireline. Smart move to get your lines from non-rip-off USA

Interesting that you say that braid (e.g. PowerPro), which seems, by all accounts [and tests that I've read] to have very low abrasion-resistance compared with nylon monos, cuts through lilies and reeds far better than mono

I guess the cheese-wire effect and abrasion-resistance are two different things.

Also I've heard mixed stories about PowerPro, not least its high cost in the UK

Thanks again, Paul

Posted Image

DG

P.S. I guess Poledark's gone fishing in the ice and snow .. otherwise I'd have thought he'd be on this thread by now

[ 01. March 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG, not fishing yet, may have a look later this morning to see if lake is still frozen!.

My current braid is an unknown make from Tacklebargains, 17lb BS (I have not tested it yet :rolleyes: ) but is definitely thinner than the 20lb BS from the same stable.

Very happy with the 20lb so bought the 17 to benefit from the lower diameter.

Cost inc post about £6.00 per 100 mtrs and would definitely say a bargain at that price.

I have used Herculine micro 12lb BS for many years for barbel and bream feeder fishing and again had no problems with it at any time, except when getting snagged on a sunken barbed wire fence and it frayed a bit before it broke!

Don't know how much I paid for it though.

Hook links are (or were) Drennan microbraid 8lbBS(?) for barbel.

A very soft and very fine grey braid 6lb BS (again do not remember the make) about as fine as I could tie for my bream and roach fishing. This had very poor abrasion resistance but did not matter for the style of fishing that I used it for, the Dia and softness were more important.

I still use some 17lb BS Outcast for carp hooklinks (very soft and supple) but very bouyant. This does not matter with my rigs, but it has never let me down. This is the "slippery" braid I referred to when testing knots and so I superglue this when I knot it.

I went back to nylon for a short while recently (for carp fishing) and got annoyed with the line twist, so I have returned to the braid.

Re the TB stuff, I can fully reccomend it as an extremely good workmanlike braid at a realistic price.

I may be tight fisted but there is no way I will pay what I consider to be hugely inflated prices we are being asked to pay for braids.

Den (now can I go fishing? :) )

[ 01. March 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

DG, not fishing yet, may have a look later this morning to see if lake is still frozen!.

My current braid is an unknown make from Tacklebargains, 17lb BS (I have not tested it yet :rolleyes: ) but is definitely thinner than the 20lb BS from the same stable.

Very happy with the 20lb so bought the 17 to benefit from the lower diameter.

Cost inc post about £6.00 per 100 mtrs and would definitely say a bargain at that price.

I have used Herculine micro 12lb BS for many years for barbel and bream feeder fishing and again had no problems with it at any time, except when getting snagged on a sunken barbed wire fence and it frayed a bit before it broke!

Don't know how much I paid for it though.

Hook links are (or were) Drennan microbraid 8lbBS(?) for barbel.

A very soft and very fine grey braid 6lb BS (again do not remember the make) about as fine as I could tie for my bream and roach fishing. This had very poor abrasion resistance but did not matter for the style of fishing that I used it for, the Dia and softness were more important.

I still use some 17lb BS Outcast for carp hooklinks (very soft and supple) but very bouyant. This does not matter with my rigs, but it has never let me down. This is the "slippery" braid I referred to when testing knots and so I superglue this when I knot it.

I went back to nylon for a short while recently (for carp fishing) and got annoyed with the line twist, so I have returned to the braid.

Re the TB stuff, I can fully reccomend it as an extremely good workmanlike braid at a realistic price.

I may be tight fisted but there is no way I will pay what I consider to be hugely inflated prices we are being asked to pay for braids.

Den (now can I go fishing? :) )

Hi Den!

Thanks v much for your input/help ..much appreciated.

The braid from TackleBargains certainly sounds to be … a bargain … at 6p/metre (inc P&P) ….. I’ll check it out.

Yup, I have heard of Herculine and good reports of it too. Where can you get it from these days in the UK, though? It’s made by Sufix, of Synergy & Tritanium fame, isn’t it?! It used to be marketed by Relum I think, but they’ve given-up with fishing~tackle etc.

Hmmmh … Drennan micro-braid for hooklengths … you’re the second person to recommend it. I guess you find the price of Kryston hook-lengths, more than a tad OTT?!

OUTCAST … a LEEDA product if my memory serves me right? Not sure if it’s still available, is it?

I wonder why you got line-twist when you went back to nylon mono for a while? Have you tried using a line-lube?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that some of the prices for braids are hugely inflated --- any fool can get ripped-off !

Anyway, Den, thanks again Posted Image and yup, now you can go fishing …but take your ice-cutter with you

Tight lines

DG

All of my sea fishing multipliers (beach and boat), have a spool filled with braid (and another of mono), of varying breaking strains.

I have a Shimano 3500 filled with 30lb bs. which I use for lure fishing.

I have a centrepin reel filled with 10lb bs braid, which I use for light tip fishing etc.

The make of all these braids is PowerPro.

I visit the US twice a year on holiday and bring some home, much cheaper that way.

I have used it for about 6 years and never had any "abrasion" problems with it.

Its the best braid I have ever used and I have tried a few.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I've just filled my ABU 6501C3 with 50Lb Cortland Spectron. The remainder was used to fill up my Emblem B/Pit reel. I used 15Lb Daiwa sensor to back it up.

Spectron costs £35 for 300 yards. It might be pricey but I've heard very good things about it. Many of the American lure fishing sites, rate Spectron over PowerPro for strength and durability but PowerPro still scored highly.

I might add, I got snagged twice the other day. Once with a Salmo Whitefish (Floating Brownie pattern) and once with a Salmo Slider (sinking Perch pattern). I wrapped the braid round another lure and leaned back. I was actually leaning about 45deg, whilst on my heels before lure came back. Both times, the split ring had given up.

I'll let you know in future, how it bears up to abuse.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I use braid only for my lure fishing:

Light/Ultralight - 15lb New Tech Power Cable. Currently costs &15.50 per 100 Metres. A line that I use for targeting Chub and Trout in very shallow water predominantly. Chosen because of it's grey colour more than any other reason. I'm getting ripped off here on the cost I know, but what the hell.

'Standard' lure fishing - Berkley Whiplash. Chosen primarily because of it's suppleness and diameter. It's a line I like very much indeed.

You might remember that I've got a spool of 10lb Whiplash 'Pro' sinking line to try out but I'll be leaving that until the Summer months.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Cranfield:

All of my sea fishing multipliers (beach and boat), have a spool filled with braid (and another of mono), of varying breaking strains.

I have a Shimano 3500 filled with 30lb bs. which I use for lure fishing.

I have a centrepin reel filled with 10lb bs braid, which I use for light tip fishing etc.

The make of all these braids is PowerPro.

I visit the US twice a year on holiday and bring some home, much cheaper that way.

I have used it for about 6 years and never had any "abrasion" problems with it.

It's the best braid I have ever used and I have tried a few.

Thanks, Cranfield

As you and others say, a smart way is to buy braids in non-rip-off USA. Obvioudly you're sold on PowerPro. What does it cost in $$$s then?

DG

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

I've just filled my ABU 6501C3 with 50Lb Cortland Spectron. The remainder was used to fill up my Emblem B/Pit reel. I used 15 lb Daiwa Sensor to back it up. { :rolleyes: -DG!}

Spectron costs £35 for 300 yards. It might be pricey but I've heard very good things about it.

Many of the American lure fishing sites, rate Spectron over PowerPro for strength and durability but PowerPro still scored highly.

I might add, I got snagged twice the other day. Once with a Salmo Whitefish (Floating Brownie pattern) and once with a Salmo Slider (sinking Perch pattern). I wrapped the braid round another lure and leaned back. I was actually leaning about 45deg, whilst on my heels before lure came back. Both times, the split ring had given up. I'll let you know in future, how it bears up to abuse.

Thanks Andy

I guess Spectron should be available through Masterline in the UK, as Cortland own them ..but I'm guessing it won't be cheap :rolleyes:

Thanks again v much for your input

DG

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

I use braid only for my lure fishing:

Light/Ultralight - 15lb New Tech Power Cable. Currently costs &15.50 per 100 Metres. A line that I use for targeting Chub and Trout in very shallow water predominantly. Chosen because of it's grey colour more than any other reason. I'm getting ripped off here on the cost I know, but what the hell.

'Standard' lure fishing - Berkley Whiplash. Chosen primarily because of it's suppleness and diameter. It's a line I like very much indeed.

You might remember that I've got a spool of 10lb Whiplash 'Pro' sinking line to try out but I'll be leaving that until the Summer months.

Hi Paul

Thanks for your response; I thought you were out there somewhere

I'd heard that PowerCable's rather thick?

Yup, Berkley Whiplash .... well up my list now ... and yes, I well remember your getting some Sinking Whiplash Pro and had been wondering how you were getting-on with it Rool-on the summer

Thanks again

DG