Jessops camera chain in administration

Elton

Troubled High Street camera retailer Jessops has gone into administration, with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) appointed as the administrator.

Article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

No great surprise. They've been teetering on the edge for some time. There was some gossip about someone like Panasonic buying them, but to be honest they haven't had the retail clout they used to have.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

As already stated ... No great surprise !!

Jessops have been staggering behind the market for a number of years, and with the advent of cameras on mobile phones

and on line shopping they could not offer anything to keep pace. Cheap end items and poor salesmanship didn't help either.

The bad part is that if you have an item in for repair, or if you have a warranty, or if you got Jessops vouchers for Christmas ..

... Forget it !!

Because of the immediate shutdown of the company none of these claims can be pursued.

Shareholders come first .... Customers second !!

As already stated ... No great surprise !!

Jessops have been staggering behind the market for a number of years, and with the advent of cameras on mobile phones

and on line shopping they could not offer anything to keep pace. Cheap end items and poor salesmanship didn't help either.

The bad part is that if you have an item in for repair, or if you have a warranty, or if you got Jessops vouchers for Christmas ..

... Forget it !!

Because of the immediate shutdown of the company none of these claims can be pursued.

Shareholders come first .... Customers second !!

Not correct! The tax and vat man come first, if there's anything left there's a share out between creditors. Still doesn't help the customers.

Jessops have been staggering behind the market for a number of years, and with the advent of cameras on mobile phones....

If anyone thinks that a mobile phone will give the same results as a DSLR or even a small compact, they are just deluding themselves. There is no way a poxy little lens less then 2mm across can hope to equal a lens even 5x that size.

Not correct! The tax and vat man come first, if there's anything left there's a share out between creditors. Still doesn't help the customers.

Or the people working for the company, they're the last to get paid.

It's a real shame they are going out of business (unless someone buys them up). Back in 1980 my dad and I travelled by train to Jessops in Leicester (they only had two stores at the time, the other was in London) to buy my christmas present, a Canon A-1. It was cheaper to go there than buy it in one of the local camera shops! Once they opened a shop in Hull I used it almost exclusively for buying my B&W papers and chemicals (and later colour paper/chemicals). The service I got was always beyond reproach (though I sometimes suspected that's because I knew what I was talking about).

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.