New PB

Leon Roskilly

Thought that I should try to get a session in before the cold weather arrives at the weekend and freezes everything, despite continuing problems with my casting hand following my op at the end of October.

Mild for the time of year, it was still pretty chilly, and there was a keen wind blowing.

The lake is exposed, and probably the windiest place in Kent (apart from the beaches).

A couple of casts with my wrist brace still on and I decided to defy the physiotherapist and slip it in my pocket.

A few casts with the wind at my back, and I was frustrated at the pain/difficulty with my hand full of scar tissue.

Still I was convinced that the fish would be down the windy end of the lake, and that I would have more chance of hooking something there, despite even more lack of casting distance

Trying to chuck out an orange fritz gold head on a #6 intermediate line was a bit of a challenge too.

A pull bought hope, then the arrival of another angler on the next platform who promptly hooked a fish on the first cast gave further hope of some action. (This is on a 7 acre late, with just 3 anglers fishing, and I'm practically being crowded out!)

A few more pathetic casts into the brisk wind, then I feel something as the line tightens.

I start to apply some pressure, but the resistance is pretty solid.

The fish heads away and I stay in contact with something that feels heavy.

"I'm gonna need a bigger net" I half joke to the angler on the other platform through the screen of bank side vegetation.

The fish heads off to the other side of the lake and, although taking line from the reel, I'm still playing it through my fingers.

"Ouch!" That burns!

I didn't quite get down to the backing before the fish turns, then I'm stripping line back trying to keep in contact, then desperately trying to apply side-strain willing the fish not to go into the branches of the overhanging tree.

I get my first glimpse of something silver and huge as it turns, and the whelm disturbs a large area of water.

I'm starting to wonder how I've managed to keep the thing on.

A few more short runs, and surface whelming, and the fish is on it's side coming over the lip of the large landing-net, now seemingly too small.

Because of the difficulty with my hand, I'd only bought essential tackle (not sure that 5 boxes of flies and several reels were all that 'essential' , but I hadn't packed any scales.

So I called to the angler in the next swim who weighed the fish in the net.

20lb 8oz minus 2lb for the net = 18 1/2 lb for my first fish of 2013 and a new PB rainbow :-)

Having weighed it, he lowered the net and the fish swam away strongly.

I went for a little walk, sent a text to my mate and started casting again.

Oh! I didn't take a photo :-(

Still, there are bigger fish in the lake, and the year has just begun :-)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Did you really just say 18 1/2lb?!!!!!

• Like 1

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

That is one hell of a fish!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Well done Leon, a cracker!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!