Reincarnation - has anyone looked at the evidence?

The Flying Tench

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Phone" data-cid="5446039" data-time="1358032065"><p>

Andy,<br />

<br />

I stand corrected. <strong class='bbc'>REINCARNATION IN HINDUISM, </strong>the experts on the subject believe the soul is or can be reincarnated also. I don't quite understand it but I believe the reason you "believe" in Hinduism is so, if you are a good boy, you can get off the reincarnation circle and eventually rest in peace. That's odd.!! I wonder if I have that right?<br />

<br />

Phone</p></blockquote>

It gets complicated when you have to believe you have a soul to reincarnate as well as reincarnation a sort of double negative imho

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Having previously been in a relatonship with a Hindu woman for more than 12 years and having typically spent a couple of months a year in India for the last decade, i have to say that if you can find two hindu's that agree on anything, yu're doing well.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I want to come back as Uma Thurman's sex toy.... :1a:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="n4lly" data-cid="5447164" data-time="1358084094"><p>

<br />

Chesters wants to come back as Uma Thurman :doh:</p></blockquote>

L had a drunken discussion once in a pub what part of you could be reincarnated ,we argued over it being a penis ,although good on paper you could find yourself ball deep in a homosexual (fine for those into such matters) after a long bit of thinking the only sure way to get to the "spot" would be to come back as a lesbians tongue so no i wouldnt like to be umas sex toy incase the butler uses it when shes out

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ah Corys favorite get out , tell me Cory, would you try and force your opinions onto the Dali Lama the way you do with people on the forum.

What makes you choose the Dalai Lama? Have you ever read any of the Dalai Lama's writings on science and Buddhism in general and on Buddhism and neuroscience in particular? Here is a link to just one of his writings on science and Buddhism.

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/buddhism/science-at-the-crossroads.

There are a few similar dissertations on his website.

Do not confuse the beleif system of Buddhism, with Christianity. Buddhism has no imaginary friend that needs to be protected from enquiry and criticism.

You seem to like quotes so here is a quote from the Dalai Lama.

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”

Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality

Here is another for you:

“If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview.”

– Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

What makes you choose the Dalai Lama?

I would have thought that was an easy thing to understand without your usual long winded reply Cory.

REINCARNATION, after all the Dali Lama is a REINCARNATION of the previous Dali Lama.

PS

Goodnight. :hypocrite:

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I was once invited to a buddist meeting by my jewish buddist employer ,all went ok but i found myself strangely the center of attention (no doubt the employer as i was so laid back though i maybe a new candidate?)

Anyway everyone was very polite and they explained their spiritual master came from the japanese buddist principle and some chap called shaki muni (sp?) had taught one version for 95 (?) years when suddenly he said forget all that old stuff i know believe you should learn my new teachings.

They all sat around waiting to see me get the point and grasp the religeon but i said simply what if he had lived longer and suddenly said forget that new stuff its now this version ,some looked shocked and there was a definate sound of thinking ,i wasnt invited back

the chap was quiet the next day but carried on his chanting at his alter but obviasly despite it coming from japan and no doubt very expensive he shortly returned to america and now teaches in the film industry ,i suspect it gets a better signal over there so the chants get heard

Edited by chesters1

I would have thought that was an easy thing to understand without your usual long winded reply Cory.

REINCARNATION, after all the Dali Lama is a REINCARNATION of the previous Dali Lama.

PS

Goodnight. :hypocrite:

You make assertions that His Holiness himself does not make.

His Holiness is held to be the reincarnation of each of the previous thirteen Dalai Lamas of Tibet (the first having been born in 1391 AD), who are in turn considered to be manifestations of Avalokiteshvara, or Chenrezig, Bodhisattva of Compassion, holder of the White Lotus. Thus His Holiness is also believed to be a manifestation of Chenrezig, in fact the seventy-fourth in a lineage that can be traced back to a Brahmin boy who lived in the time of Buddha Shakyamuni. I am often asked whether I truly believe this. The answer is not simple to give. But as a fifty-six year old, when I consider my experience during this present life, and given my Buddhist beliefs, I have no difficulty accepting that I am spiritually connected both to the thirteen previous Dalai Lamas, to Chenrezig and to the Buddha himself.

http://www.dalailama.com/biography/from-birth-to-exile

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote