Reincarnation - has anyone looked at the evidence?

The Flying Tench

Ken, Cory,

You do tend to tell "others" how they should feel also. A trait of superioUrity.

In Theology - we believe the doctrine that the second person of the Trinity assumed human form in the person of Jesus Christ and is completely both God and man, We even toss in a few "angels" from the Jews for good measure that bring us up to the time of Jesus Christ (I guess so it won't be such a shock(?). (Cory, actually I believe it was his brother-in-law Ali and scribe who wittnessed what Abraham told Muhammad (same Abraham - yes). I guess that's why the Koran is nearly word for word from the Torah (as is the old testament.. Muhammad never said anything to my knowledge.)

By what right can you tell us not to have "faith" in that statement? You have no, none, zippo, nada proof to the contrary mearly your "faith" it hasn't happened. Do you?

Phone

I don't care what you beleive, Phone, and your right, in no way can prove that your god does not exist, just the same way that you can't prove that there is not a chocolate teapot in orbit around Venus.The Burden of Proof for the teapot is not yours and the burden of proof for god is not mine.

You may be right about the Koran. I've never read it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

And what of the victims of the crusades, the inquizitions in Spain, Goa, Portugal or Rome, the religious violence on Rwanda or the former Yugoslavia or the thousand year dark agees when the christian church was strong and brutal and up to it's armpits in gore. Were the Christian perpetrators of their deaths any different to the islamic perpetrators of 9/11 ?

Seems to me that the one thing they have in common is irrational beliefs for which they are prepared to kill.

Quite right Ken. Thout shalt not kill; but it's relative, it depends on whose being killed and who is doing the killing.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

By what right can you tell us not to have "faith" in that statement?

But I wouldn't tell you not to have faith.

What I would do is tell you that there's not a shred of evidence to support your faith position should you decide to assert that faith as truth - and then I'd explain to you where

lies.
  • Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Here is the thing Andrew. I don't care if you can "take it" or not. I don't like the word brainwashing but since you started it then here we go. They were no more "brainwashed" than than millions of Christian children in America are brainwashed into beleliving that if they don't beleive what Mummy and Daddy beleive the will burn in the fire of hell for eternity.

The fact that Christian faith on the whole forbids suicide and that to a Moslem an act of martyrdom means that you get to go directly to the land overflowing with milk and honey, wearing fine silks and being teneded to hand on foot by seventy-two virgins, without any hanging around waiting for juudgement day does not make one faith good and one faith bad. I thought I had already said that it is not religion that I have an issue with, it's what people do in the name of their religion.

There you go again, trying to steamroller your opinions. Does not work with me Cory.

How many Christians have you heard of lately " suicide " bombing, The " suicide " bombers are the weak ones one chosen to do the deed, while the " enlightened " ones stay safe. Many of the top dogs, just like the Christian hierarchy live a life of hypocritical luxury while the weak do the deed. Do you honestly think that the " suicide " bombers are not brain washed, grow up Cory, get real.

As its been stated, you and another members seem to enjoy telling people how they should feel about faith etc, again, does not wash with me. Again you bandy this little snippet out.

.The Burden of Proof

A fine get out Cory used by you and others when confronted with others beliefs what you dont agree with. Turn the record over Cory, and accept people have faith and believe in it, and that you and others have no power to change that.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Guys,

Are you suggesting that our Christian world may have been wrong with a "flat earth" theory?

The burden of proof lies with the claim. You're equally claiming it ain't so. I am the vast majority. The greatest bruden lies with the least accepted thesis - you know that!

No one of sound mind is telling you you must become a believer. We introduce you to our "faith" and you choose - don't you?. Maybe - just maybe, you aren't re-incarnated in hell in which case Chesters1 will have to reformulate. Not my concern, you are invited to "see the light" any time you wish.

May I say you always have a hypocritical concern for the virtue of my religious devotion and it's "wrongness" in a rather sanctimonious(sp) fashion.

May I also say - we've done this a thousand times.

Phone

Does re-incarnation exist ?

Such a proposal would require – amongst other things:

The existence of personality and memories outside of the physical structure of the brain.

The persistence and cohesion of personality and memories after the physical death of the brain.

Some way of integrating that personality and those memories back into a new human being.

There’s not a single shred of evidence that any of those prerequisites are possible in the sense required for reincarnation.

If reincarnation were actually happening, then in addition to descriptions of past lives that match what can be found in books, one might expect those claiming to have had past lives revealing things about history that were unknown at the time that they announced their past life experience but which are subsequently proved to be true. Things like the location of unknown secret rooms, treasure stashes or tombs in places that the subject has never visited, the ability to describe art or books that are lost but subsequently rediscovered or real insights into historical mysteries.

To the best of my knowledge, no such evidence has been presented.

Well, I agree with your first 5 lines, but surely evidence has been presented in the various claims of remarkable knowledge that get quoted in books on reincarnation. What I was asking was whether anyone has investigated this evidence to see how good it is. I guess my assumption (and maybe yours?) is that the stories might have been exaggerated, but when debating with people who believe in reincarnation it would be helpful to know, for example, if there is a book that has been published by someone reasonably unbiassed who has interviewed some of the people concerned.

I take your point about no historically significant information being produced, but perhaps a reincarnationist would say that the number of remarkable cases hasn't been enough to expect such a thing. But, even so, I agree with your general point. If I am reincarnated from various people from olden times, surely that's important stuff, and I would have expected it to have had a bit more influence on me than it has. OTOH maybe an angler......?!!

Another problem with it for me is the increasing world population. There can't be enough souls from the past for everyone!

john clarke

All,

Ken,

The Bible has something for everyone (mostly good ideas to live by in story format. Some are quite clever.). If the original question, "Does re-incarnation exist", doesn't suit you we offer "dust to dust" as an alternative. Check under your bed, I believe you'll find the "shread of evidence" you're looking for.

Phone

John, I suspect that the $1m JREF prize that remains unclaimed tells us all we need to know about claims to unique knowledge as a result of previous lives.

It's pretty much the ultimate put up or shut up for all claims supernatural.

Nobody has said "In a previous life, i was high priest of Anubis (or whatever) and although I've never been to Egypt, i can take you to three undescovereed tombs".

Trouble is, you might find it a bit of a two edged sword in debate.....

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

Ken,

The Bible has something for everyone (mostly good ideas to live by in story format. Some are quite clever.). If the original question, "Does re-incarnation exist", doesn't suit you we offer "dust to dust" as an alternative. Check under your bed, I believe you'll find the "shread of evidence" you're looking for.

Phone

Really ?

Where in the Bible does it say "dust to dust".

Sorry, I know it's a cheap shot, but I couldn't resist.......