Reincarnation - has anyone looked at the evidence?

The Flying Tench

Ah so your a Buddhist.

You seem to have led a very full and active life Cory.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Ah so your a Buddhist.

You seem to have led a very full and active life Cory.

It's a quote from the link at the bottom of the post........

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You seem to like quotes so here is a quote from the Dalai Lama.

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”

Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality

Here is another for you:

“If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview.”

– Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

I also didn't know you were a Buddhist, Cory. Am I right in saying some Buddhists believe in a deity and others do not? - I appreciate you are in the latter camp. Regarding the above quotes about adapting one's beliefs if science conclusively proved some aspect of them wrong, I could certainly say the same about christianity, and I think a good proportion of christians would say the same.

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

I also didn't know you were a Buddhist, Cory. Am I right in saying some Buddhists believe in a deity and others do not? - I appreciate you are in the latter camp.

Regarding the above quotes about adapting one's beliefs if science conclusively proved some aspect of them wrong, I could certainly say the same about christianity, and I think a good proportion of christians would say the same.

No I'm not a Bhuddist either, but as far as I know Buddhists do not beleive in any dieties or higher power.

There are three main reasons for this.

According to Bhudda:

• Primitive man found himself in a dangerous and hostile world, the fear of wild animals, of not being able to find enough food, of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes was constantly with him. Finding no security, he created the idea of gods in order to give him comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong. To this day, you will notice that people become more religious at times of crises, you will hear them say that the belief in a god or gods gives them the strength they need to deal with life. You will hear them explain that they believe in a particular god because they prayed in time of need and their prayer was answered. All this seems to support the Buddha’s teaching that the god-idea is a response to fear and frustration. The Buddha taught us to try to understand our fears, to lessen our desires and to calmly and courageously accept the things we cannot change. He replaced fear, not with irrational belief but with rational understanding.
  • The second reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is because there does not seem to be any evidence to support this idea. There are numerous religions, all claiming that they alone have god’s words preserved in their holy book, that they alone understand god’s nature, that their god exists and that the gods of other religions do not. Some claim that god is masculine, some that she is feminine and others that it is neuter. They are all satisfied that there is ample evidence to prove the existence of their god but they laugh in disbelief at the evidence other religions use to prove the existence of another god. It is not surprising that with so many different religions spending so many centuries trying to prove the existence of their gods that still no real, concrete, substantial or irrefutable evidence has been found. Buddhists suspend judgement until such evidence is forthcoming.
  • The third reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is that the belief is not necessary. Some claim that the belief in a god is necessary in order to explain the origin on the universe. But this is not so. Science has very convincingly explained how the universe came into being without having to introduce the god-idea. Some claim that belief in god is necessary to have a happy, meaningful life. Again we can see that this is not so. There are millions of atheists and free-thinkers, not to mention many Buddhists, who live useful, happy and meaningful lives without belief in a god. Some claim that belief in god’s power is necessary because humans, being weak, do not have the strength to help themselves. Once again, the evidence indicates the opposite. One often hears of people who have overcome great disabilities and handicaps, enormous odds and difficulties, through their own inner resources, through their own efforts and without belief in a god. Some claim that god is necessary in order to give man salvation. But this argument only holds good if you accept the theological concept of salvation and Buddhists do not accept such a concept. Based on his own experience, the Buddha saw that each human being had the capacity to purify the mind, develop infinite love and compassion and perfect understanding. He shifted attention from the heavens to the heart and encouraged us to find solutions to our problems through self-understanding.

[above is taken from http://www.buddhanet.net/ans73.htm, no point re-inventing the wheel is somoene else has written it down more elequenly than I could]

So whilst I am not a Bhuddist, the teachings of Bhudda echo my own outlook on the world.

In response to your bit about Christianity changing core parts of it's teachings to reflect scientific findings, consider this.

Evolution is a fact, that is to say evolution is a confirmed observation. This means that the creation accounts in Genesis (Genesis 1:1 through Genesis 2:3 and Genesis 2:4–24) cannot be factual and must instead be mythical.This also means that there is no original sin. No original sin means no need for Redemption, no need for God to send himself, disguised as his son to earth as a sacrifice to himself to forgive our sins, which pretty much invalidates the whole concept of Christianity. When are we going to see the basic tenets of Christianity updated to reflect this We have known that evolution is a fact for 150 years now, surely that is enought time to update the manual?

In a similar vein why is there a constant battle in America against Fundamentalist Christians demanding that Creationism or it's cleverly worded counterpart "Intelligent Design" being taught in their Public Schools?

Why in the UK am I reading articles like this in the newspapers?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/nov/30/free-schools-creationism

Is the Guardian telling lies perhaps?

To be fair I have heard a clergyman slap down a creationist on a debate on the BBC but one does not see this type of thing often enough.

If every Christian clergyman, Muslim imam and Jewish rabbi thought a bit more like George Coyne the earth would be a much safer environment for all of humanity, but making the earth a safe place for all of humanity has never been the goal of the Abrahamic god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeF5x_5zxlw

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

No I'm not a Bhuddist either, but as far as I know Buddhists do not beleive in any dieties or higher power.

My ex used to dismiss buddhists as "basically just Hindu's", pointing out that they believe in the Hindu pantheon and that you will find Hindu deities represented in most buddhist temples.

I've visited a few since that conversation and sure enough....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My ex used to dismiss buddhists as "basically just Hindu's", pointing out that they believe in the Hindu pantheon and that you will find Hindu deities represented in most buddhist temples.

I've visited a few since that conversation and sure enough....

So if I go and visit a Bhuddist temple in Japan am I going to find Hindu gods depicted on it? There are Hindu temples in Southampton that have stained glass windows with saints and biblical scenes on them and have a crucifix on top of the spire. Does that mean that Hindus beleive in Jesus Christ?

Your ex's view would be considered unnaceptable my most Bhuddists, in a similar way that the notion that Jesus is the Messiah is to most people of the Jewish faith.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="corydoras" data-cid="5455997" data-time="1358323720"><p>

So if I go and visit a Bhuddist temple in Japan am I going to find Hindu gods depicted on it? There are Hindu temples in Southampton that have stained glass windows with saints and biblical scenes on them and have a crucifix on top of the spire. Does that mean that Hindus beleive in Jesus Christ?<br />

<br />

Your ex's view would be considered unnaceptable my most Bhuddists, in a similar way that the notion that Jesus is the Messiah is to most people of the Jewish faith.</p></blockquote>

Some if not all muslims believe in a jesus ,the mob up the road from me are hated by moslems because they claim he never died on the cross,i think the main religeouns are the same (especially the jewish and moslem as their rituals are similar) are the same but the historical problems with them are not the basic beliefs but the fight for control over which one is the real version

My religeons better than your religeoun not with poking out tongues but with pointy sharp metal and now guns and bombs

In reality all the main religeouns are just a rehash of Egyptian tales of gods and stuff

In reality its all used to control tbe masses extract wealth from them on unprovable puromisses and justyfie mass murder when the leaders have a bad day

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All moslems believe that Jesus is a prophet, they just don't believe the son of god bit.

Edited by corydoras

Chesters1

""""In reality its all used to control tbe masses extract wealth from them on unprovable puromisses and justyfie mass murder when the leaders have a bad day.""""

What's wrong with that?

Phone

If your not a bishop or pope lots

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson