goldfish

Klaus

Hi All

Last year our 2 goldfish spawned after a water change, I moved the parents to a different tank due to cannibalism. We had many many fry that i tried to nurture through to goldfishdom, many perished up the filter(i am not a professional,not even an amateur) ended up with probably 50-70 took about half a dozen down to my dads small pond, last july it was tipping it down at the time,they were acclimatized for temp and some pond water added to thiers. A recent visit has shown there are about 7 survivors but they are Black is this normal ? will they eventually go goldy colour. Thier brothers and sisters of varying sizes kept in tanks indoors have mostly turned golden(orangey) just like thier mum and dad used to be.

Klaus

Hi All

A recent visit has shown there are about 7 survivors but they are Black is this normal ? will they eventually go goldy colour. Thier brothers and sisters of varying sizes kept in tanks indoors have mostly turned golden(orangey) just like thier mum and dad used to be.

Klaus

Sounds normal to me, I've known them remain dark for up to 3 years in an outside pond, (some may always stay dark) - I think the difference from the tank to the pond will be due to the warmer temperatures in an indoor environment.

Klaus,

I'll be different. I had 4 or 5 that lived a couple years and stayed black. Don't know why. Maybe there are black goldfish. These were among "bait fish" that didn't get used and were put in a small koi pond. I always buy a dozen and seem to have 3 or 4 left when I get home.

OTOH if the mamma and pappa were gold it would be a rare event wouldn't it? Ohh well, I'm sticking with black forever.

Phone

Klaus,

I'll be different. I had 4 or 5 that lived a couple years and stayed black. Don't know why. Maybe there are black goldfish. These were among "bait fish" that didn't get used and were put in a small koi pond. I always buy a dozen and seem to have 3 or 4 left when I get home.

OTOH if the mamma and pappa were gold it would be a rare event wouldn't it? Ohh well, I'm sticking with black forever.

Phone

Well only time will tell i suppose

Not all will turn.

Some remain dark for the rest of their lives.

My Goldfish spawn year on year and of those that survive the Carp the majority never turn to the colours we are familiar with for Goldfish.

It could be that the darker ones being the majority of your survivors is cos they are less noticeable to the carp.

• 3 weeks later...

It is strange but the Carp do not go for the Goldfish but they seem to like darker ones. I never realised Carp predated on them until last year.

They do love a tiddler for lunch.

I had to temporarily put some of my pond fish (Common carp and Goldfish) in a tank a few years back, the two largest fish were probably about 2lb in weight, there were quite a lot of small ones (2"-3") went in there too, there weren't many small ones left after a couple of days. fish.gif