Float tube in Central Scotland

davec

I have a pontoon boat (like a float tube but with oars) which I occasionally fly fish from for trout, but am looking to catch pike from it. I have caught pike from it on other methods but am looking for like minded people to tag along with so I can get my first pike on the fly (other than those I have accidentally caught when going for trout).

I live in west Fife so I am not too far from lots of the major waters.

Thanks

Hello Dave

When I lived in Scotland I did a great deal of flyfishing from the float tube, mostly at Haddo fishery north of Aberdeen.

I got into flyfishing for Pike from the tube on some of the lochs on Speyside, around Aviemore. It's a very effective method but it can be hard work in the float tube on some of the larger lochs, your pontoon boat would be easier,

There were a couple of very good lochs on Deeside, inland from Aberdeen. Unfortunately all of the sizeable Pike were removed by Eastern Europeans who worked in the fish processing sheds in Aberdeen, Peterhead and Fraserborough. My personal best pike of 29 lbs. 12 oz. came from one of them, unfortunately not on-the-fly.

Here in France I've float fished and fly fished for all sorts of species from my float tube but unfortunately no pike.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Cheers Sportsman- I have fished Haddo myself a few times, caught my 3 biggest trout ever (all >10lbs) all in one session one evening!

I am thinking about the really weedy bit at the East end of Loch Tay but would prefer to fish with somebody else in case of disaster.

Only time I have fly fished in France I was catching Dace, but the water was really warm. I will be taking my river gear when we go to Rougement this summer though!