Mr. Crabtree On TV

Elton

John Bailey just comes across to me as patronising.

I don't get quest anyway so didn't watch

To say that you didn't watch it Dave, you got it in one. Patronising to say the least,

I was hoping that there might at least been a part where they used the tackle of the period, but I suppose he had to get the Hardy 'pin in shot to please his sponsors.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

To say that you didn't watch it Dave, you got it in one. Patronising to say the least,

I was hoping that there might at least been a part where they used the tackle of the period, but I suppose he had to get the Hardy 'pin in shot to please his sponsors.

John.

Got it in one; I wonder if that's the gear he usually takes out. Tackle gripes aside, I thought the show lacked any real sense of nostalgia - not everyone likes "A Passion..." but I reckon those shows give the watcher a much better feel of the wonder (and fun) of angling. A good chance missed, Mr Bailey.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Well.... I thoroughly enjoyed it; I have a great deal of time for JB and the programme was just fine. I sort of expected there would be some hairtrigger outrage about how he should have done this, not have done that etc and I wasn't wrong. Look- it was a cold and horrible January evening and watching big tench being caught on a summer dawn by a young lad who was having the time of his life was lovely viewing I thought . I 'm sure I could have found something to chelp about if I'd really concentrated but why should I? .But I am obviously surrounded by people who are natural and gifted TV presenters here so what do I know eh ?

• Like 1

One to watch...

attachicon.gifcrab tree TV_FLYER_INFO.png

Whens it on Elton ? or has it been on

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

To avoid misunderstandings I have found John Bailey to be patronising in other programs that I have watched him in.I wouldn't know about this one as I didn't watch it

I don't pretend to be a natural and gifted presenter, but then again, I am not being paid as one

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest 1lastcast

Young Angler outfishes old Angler with modern methods in Mr Crabtree debacle.

Well it was a fishing programme but it failed to capture the essence of what Mr Crabtree is, and what is recognised by many as the essence of what got us into fishing.

JB was terribly patronising, and somehow the misty eyed longing for Days Gone By was lost with the young 'Peter' using bolt rigs buzzers and the like, so all in all a bit of a dogs dinner, and I am sure Bernard Venables would have not have approved one bit in the misuse of his wonderful brand.

Passion for Angling did albeit in a rather too sugary way capture the Magic of boyhood fishing this did not, in fact this 'Peter' probably had more inerest in modern carping techniques that spoilt the 'innocence'.

But... it was a new fishing programme, and for someone like me who sadly records all the much seen repeats anyway, it was a breath of almost fresh air.

Look- it was a cold and horrible January evening and watching big tench being caught on a summer dawn by a young lad who was having the time of his life was lovely viewing I thought

Exactly. The programme was always going to divide opinion but given the lack of angling progs on the telly it was nice to see a new one. I couldn't quite figure out its purpose, it wasn't a nostalgia trip for me and if it was aimed at introducing modern methods to newcomers I think it missed that mark too. Stating that buoyant corn was the bait but not mentioning that it was plastic would have newcomers wondering a bit.

None of that mattered though, I thought it was entertaining enough to warrant another look so I'll be twiddling the Bakelite tuning dial for next weeks episode.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I was looking forward to this and had recorded it. I really don't like to be critical, but I quickly found myself forwarding by 30 seconds and then quickly gave up. John Bailey just wouldn't shut up and started to get on my nerves. I would genuinely rather have had the more laid back Bernard Cribbins as Crabtree - they must have had to carry the script in a wheelbarrow.

I suppose you have to make allowances for the low budget, but this came across like one of those cheap angling videos that you might pick up in Tescos. I know they could hardly afford Hugh Miles, but it was very poorly produced, so that just for once, it would have been far better to have been made by the production company that used to make those rather gimmicky angling shows on Channel 4 (I forget the name, but they used quirky animations between the different segments). Those programmes weren't to everyone's taste, but they knew how to mix up the visuals. A few more of Bernard Venables' original illustrations would have helped to break up the monotony and some underwater shots would have helped. Anything to lessen Bailey's non-stop, condescending patter. The worst crime was that it totally failed to capture the atmosphere in the way that Passion For Angling carried off so successfully. The budget was obviously a big constraint here, but I couldn't help thinking it was an opportunity wasted. The subject is simply crying out for the Chris Yates and Hugh Miles treatment. This seemed more like Bailey's own pet project and I'm afraid he blew it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I recorded it, because I like all fishing programs, but this one seemed very patronising towards a talented young angler who knew what he was doing mostly.

It wans't a father son type relationship and that shot of the kid losing the fish, his face seemed to be saying "***** it, I wouldn't have lost that!"

• Like 1

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

So I'm not the only one to be annoyed by J.B's saccharin style of writing and presentation.

Good concept, bit arrogant of J.B. to ride on Venable's back though.

Agreed about taking Sam's rod, should have talked him through it.

That aside, enjoyed it, will watch it again, look forward to further episodes.

Wonder if J.B. tried the mainline T.V. stations before being accepted by a previously unheard of one?

Not exactly in the same league as 'Passion', or anywhere near it for that matter.

At least it about angling, not just about carp, and its on TV.

Edited by Peter Waller