Mr. Crabtree On TV

Elton

All,

Having not seen the show I am reminded of a joke.

How many angling critics does it take to catch a fish?

A: All of them -

one to be highly critical of the venue,

one to express contempt for the angler,

one to lambast the choice of species,

one to critique the performance of the fish itself,

one to recall superb fish of past seasons and lament how
this one fails to measure up,

and all to join in the refrain, reflecting on how they could build a
better fishing presentation in their sleep.

I find myself biting my tongue "A critic is someone who never actually goes to the battle, yet who
afterwards comes out shooting the wounded" (Theodore Roosevelt)

Phone

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

I haven't watched it yet, so cannot comment on style or presentation. If I remember rightly Mr Crabtree is about teaching youngsters and attracting them into the brotherhood of the angle, not for teaching us old farts what we aleady know. Have any members shown it to the youngsters in the family and asked for their opinions and comments ??

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Guest 1lastcast

All,

Having not seen the show I am reminded of a joke.

How many angling critics does it take to catch a fish?

A: All of them -

one to be highly critical of the venue,

one to express contempt for the angler,

one to lambast the choice of species,

one to critique the performance of the fish itself,

one to recall superb fish of past seasons and lament how

this one fails to measure up,

and all to join in the refrain, reflecting on how they could build a

better fishing presentation in their sleep.

I find myself biting my tongue "A critic is someone who never actually goes to the battle, yet who

afterwards comes out shooting the wounded" (Theodore Roosevelt)

Phone

Me thinks you need to see the programme and be familiar with the cartoon strip.The presenter is a guy who offers himself up as a guide for money on the very prolific Wye river for money. He also writes, I would have thought that with all his recources at his disposal he could have made a better job of recapturing the magic that is Mr Crabtree.

Besides I do believe Mr Crabtree is not suitable viewing for you lot. :bleh:

Phone...you miserable old scrote!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Bloke makes TV programme about our sport. Hold the front page - it isn't perfect. JB also guilty of being a guide who - the cheek of it- charges money. .He should hang his head in shame.And - crikey- he fishes the same river as Bob James too; obviously dodgy.

What a sour bunch of whiners-bet the kids involved enjoyed it a lot more than the armchair critics.

• Like 1

Rather then twaddle on about Mr Crabtree and his archaic ways and try to reminisce about "real fishing" I think JB taught us all a valuable lesson. All that old codger stuff with PINS is pants, the way to catch big fish is with bolt rigs, pods and alarms. Once the lad was fishing pucka style the big Tench put in an appearence.

Rather then market under the banner of Mr Crabtree and try to emulate the Crabtree style, they should have made a series about why old man fishing is rubbish. Bring Mr Crabtree up to date and make it an out and out new fishing method, show Peter how to spod the bejesus out of a lake and other useful skills.

I am rather looking forward to the rest of the series especially if John shows the traditional method and the kid goes on to out fish it with modern methods.

But good or bad it's nice to see more angling programs being made.

Edited by Dales
  • Like 1

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Rather then twaddle on about Mr Crabtree and his archaic ways and try to reminisce about "real fishing" I think JB taught us all a valuable lesson. All that old codger stuff with PINS is pants, the way to catch big fish is with bolt rigs, pods and alarms. Once the lad was fishing pucka style the big Tench put in an appearence.

Rather then market under the banner of Mr Crabtree and try to emulate the Crabtree style, they should have made a series about why old man fishing is rubbish. Bring Mr Crabtree up to date and make it an out and out new fishing method, show Peter how to spod the bejesus out of a lake and other useful skills.

I am rather looking forward to the rest of the series especially if John shows the traditional method and the kid goes on to out fish it with modern methods.

But good or bad it's nice to see more angling programs being made.

Why you arrogant young whippersnapper...it's off to bed with no tea for you, just wait 'til your Father gets home!

:bleh:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I'm often surrpised, ( I know I shouldn't be by now), but whenever a TV prog about angling is shown, some think that everybody should like it, just because it's about angling.

We each have our own opinion. I respect your right to have yours, please respect my right to have a different one.

John, (an old man with a 'pin) :bleh:

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Why you arrogant young whippersnapper...it's off to bed with no tea for you, just wait 'til your Father gets home!

:bleh:

It just not gansta enough for me, even with my main man Pete aving his hat on back to front and dressed sharp in head to foot in Nash, it did not feel real and fresh for da youth of today.

And that old bumbaclot taking liberties, pinch his rod and loose his fish. Pete should of popped a cap in his curly haired ass.

rubbish old man show

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek