Mr. Crabtree On TV

Elton

Guest 1lastcast

I can catch my own barbel. thanks all the same. . I look forward to watching your film... on youtube is it ? Or do we have to wait for the network premierere? And presumably all ghillies should 'hang their head ' too?

It's on utube, not that I wanted it to be, Ghillies are a different kettle of fish, especially when you consider Salmon beats. No network premiere, just a college project for son.

If you still need help with Barbel...no charge, just want to put the record straight I am no 'armchar whiner' as you rather rudely suggested.

Having read some of the adverse comments on here I was expecting to be disappointed when I watched the recording this evening. I wasn't. Neither was Peggy, who doesn't fish.

Probably the key here is the expectation. I think perhaps some expected too much from this programme, probably because it contained the Crabtree word. If it's going to highlight the differences between the Crabtree and the modern styles it's going to be interesting, especially to someone like me who uses both. Sure, there was the odd thing that grated like the method of weighing the tench, but there were great shots of the expression on the lad's face after the the lost fish, together with some excellent scenic shots.

In fact I liked it enough to watch the rest of the series, and Peggy probably will do too.

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think "Fishing in the footsteps of" is not a bad indication of what the program is about. Its trying to combine how Mr Crabtree would of fished all them years ago and how a modern Peter would fish today - thats my interpretation of it.

I thought John Bailiey portraid the Mr Crabtree father figure very well.

As for grabbing the Rod - done it to my own Daughters when expensive gear at risk, its a natural reaction.

I will be watching again.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rob, same name, had the shorts too! Eventually collected all the lures in the book, good ol' days.

Jack Hargreaves and his shed in the studio! Liked the program, thought him a dour old coot though.

Bugger! been trying to collect everything in the books so I could photograph them as per the pages of "Mr. Crabtree's Tackle", just can't afford some of the lures...bloody silly prices. Must say though, I'm on a winner when it comes to the reels, anybody else got a Grangecaster!!! (it's where I came in to AN)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Having read some of the adverse comments on here I was expecting to be disappointed when I watched the recording this evening. I wasn't. Neither was Peggy, who doesn't fish.

Probably the key here is the expectation. I think perhaps some expected too much from this programme, probably because it contained the Crabtree word. If it's going to highlight the differences between the Crabtree and the modern styles it's going to be interesting, especially to someone like me who uses both. Sure, there was the odd thing that grated like the method of weighing the tench, but there were great shots of the expression on the lad's face after the the lost fish, together with some excellent scenic shots.

In fact I liked it enough to watch the rest of the series, and Peggy probably will do too.

I'll still watch the rest (work and other stuff allowing) but I still think that "Peter" was the star of the show!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest 1lastcast

Yes that was good, I bet he may have watched an old 'Predators' and copied your expression when your co: host lost that 'Monster Perch'. :doh:

Steve, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the program and look forward to seeing the whole series. The concept behind the series was first class, it deserved the 'Passion' treatment which it certainly didn't get, so no, the first episode didn't come anywhere near my expectations. The quality was no better than the poor average that pops up from time to time in the Pound Shop. That it's on some previously unheard of t.v. station says a great deal too. This could so easily have been another classic, it won't be judging by the first episode.

Well, I'm with Steve on this one, I enjoyed the program and will watch the others in the series. To be honest I'm recording them (on video to cut out the adverts) and will then copy them over to DVD. I'm even hoping they'll make another series....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Finally got around to watching it, and I too enjoyed it, no not PFA quality, but still very watch-able, and as others said, nice to see the "Peter" outfish the expert :)

I've set my sky box up to tape the rest of the series, and might even buy the DVD when it comes out!

Mat

Mat

Just watched it and enjoyed it. I could only find one criticism and that was the method of weighing the fish, which I thought was a bit hit and miss for accuracy. Will definately watch the rest as I have it on series record

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not