Mr. Crabtree On TV

Elton

All,

I have to tell you I took 1cast's advice and for fun read a bizzilion threads and looked at an equal number of strips (internet is wonderful - or not so - depending I guess). I don't get it - he's right. I must be WAY off base culturally. Isn't this based on the 25 years of CARTOONs in the Mirror? I watched the u-tube version as well (which, by the way MUST be a copyright violation).

My original comment in post #12 was lighthearted (so I thought(?)). Looks like you (AN posters), in this thread, are serious about both the "theater" and the "how-to" about fishing. (that too is a question). For example, wotnob's criticism for weighing a fish. (it's in the previous post to this and is not directed at wotnob but rather a general observation for the tenor of most comments).

Before I "get me hat" may I suggest you get a life. I thought the program was simply entertaining - not much else. Guess I need to pay more attention to the technical details on how to catch a fish.

Phone

1cast, I appologize.

Guest 1lastcast

All,

I have to tell you I took 1cast's advice and for fun read a bizzilion threads and looked at an equal number of strips (internet is wonderful - or not so - depending I guess). I don't get it - he's right. I must be WAY off base culturally. Isn't this based on the 25 years of CARTOONs in the Mirror? I watched the u-tube version as well (which, by the way MUST be a copyright violation).

My original comment in post #12 was lighthearted (so I thought(?)). Looks like you (AN posters), in this thread, are serious about both the "theater" and the "how-to" about fishing. (that too is a question). For example, wotnob's criticism for weighing a fish. (it's in the previous post to this and is not directed at wotnob but rather a general observation for the tenor of most comments).

Before I "get me hat" may I suggest you get a life. I thought the program was simply entertaining - not much else. Guess I need to pay more attention to the technical details on how to catch a fish.

Phone

1cast, I appologize.

Awww that OK mate, glad you managed to see it though, strange lot we are.

Guest 1lastcast

Just watched it and enjoyed it. I could only find one criticism and that was the method of weighing the fish, which I thought was a bit hit and miss for accuracy. Will definately watch the rest as I have it on series record

Depends on what your stance is really I suppose, if it's one of weighing the Tench in a sling or just for weighing accuracy Probably using the net is a bit of a no no for some but probably less of a stress for the fish. But it looked as the JB extracted every ounce of water before weighing the net, but two good fish and well done to the lad.

All in all though a good watch, and it is something new.

I wonder what the target audience was? Whatever it was I expect it will inspire more youngsters to take up the sport, just like Mr Crabtree did some 60 years ago. In so it can judged to have been a success on that basis alone. As I posted earlier, I enjoyed it and am recording the whole series.

I hope sufficient of us watch it for TV companies to do more angling programmes, especially as we used to moan there were so few.

If you missed it, it's being repeated at 8pm tonight on Quest (channel 154 on Sky, 179 on Virgin and 38 on Freeview). There's also a Quest +1 channel on Sky (channel 167), so you can see it at 9pm, but I don't know whether there's also a Quest +1 on Virgin or Freeview.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I wonder what the target audience was? Whatever it was I expect it will inspire more youngsters to take up the sport, just like Mr Crabtree did some 60 years ago. In so it can judged to have been a success on that basis oalone. As I posted earlier, I enjoyed it and am recording the whole series.

I hope sufficient of us watch it for TV companies to do more angling programmes, especially as we used to moan there were so few.

If you missed it, it's being repeated at 8pm tonight on Quest (channel 154 on Sky, 179 on Virgin and 38 on Freeview). There's also a Quest +1 channel on Sky (channel 167), so you can see it at 9pm, but I don't know whether there's also a Quest +1 on Virgin or Freeview.

So even though we have already watched it we can rerecord then rererecord to bump up viewing figures ;-)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Don't know what everyones moaning about, I couldn't fault it. Ok John Bailey could be a bit in your face but I think he was just trying to involve 'peter' as much as possible. As for weighing techniques I think the emphasis was more on fish care than pinpoint precision as they just wanted the fish back in the water as soon as possible. I look forward to watching the rest of the series.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Just watched the re-run - quite happy with the content and will be watching the rest of the series: main comment I would make is about the length of time taken up within a one-hour show by bloody adverts ... 3 breaks of approximately six minutes each! :doh:

Stop hogging the rod and give the lad a go!!

And turn that bloody annoying ratchet off.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John