Win 7 Pro has deleted all of my contacts in Live Mail!

Worms

I've reset the pc to a previous known working condition but still no contacts.....annoying!!! :rtfm:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

You don't give any background info here:

Have you checked your contact a folder itself?

That's c:\users\\contacts

Check that folder to see if the contact cards are all in there.

Returning to a previous known working condition won't help at all, whatsoever. It's not designed to alter personal files which your contacts folder is.

Edited by kirisute
  • Like 1

Ah, you are a star, yep, all of the cards are there.......I tried following some stupid Microsoft advice...should have come here first. I'll see if I can fix it myself tomorrow, otherwise I'll be back for your invaluable assistance. Cheers mate :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I think the first thing I'd try is control panel > uninstall > windows essentials and when it opens, use the repair option

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Easiest way is to try to re import them again. The database file that live mail uses is easy to corrupt.

Open mail, click contacts icon at bottom left (looks like a book), in new screen choose: FILE>IMPORT and choose to import contacts from current user.

Other issues you might find are if you use a hotmail account in your live mail. MS are swapping all hotmail systems to Skype, if you don't go though the upgrade process then some people are losing ther contacts that way; just head to Skype website and sign in with your Live ID to create the link up. Then sign out of live mail, and sign in again.

Sadly live mail will keep a separate contact database for a live account o a standard account. And if your contacts are linked to a live account and for some reason it's signed out, then they won't show. You can sign in, export from your live account, and reimport into a non live account to resolve the issue.

Ah, a problem...all of those contacts are mobile 'phone numbers, no e-mail addresses at all...where have they gone?

I tried Newt's repair but that didn't work....

Just can't find the e-mail contacts that I had, and I'm not on Hotmail!

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{b5f3929f-ba60-4632-ad4e-b602b1c8e007}\DBStore

Should be the location of your contacts database for live mail. It's a .edb file if I recall.

Have a quick snoot through this link, it might help you out:

http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/windows-live-mail-contacts-database/

IMO scrap live and get a gmail account they store your contacts and bookmarks and when you sign in automatically load to the device you sign in on. great idea for phone flashaholics and pc meddlers LOL

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Worms,

Not exactly your problem. I had to spend a hundred bucks and have my computer "cleaned". All my e-mail addys that had a corrupt tag got tossed. Just happened to be all of them.

I had a hard copy and had to re-enter the entire blob (for me, maybe 12 as I do not have a lot of friends).

Phone