Spike Milligan

Elton

davidP:

It's strange, but only this weekend something made me start to reread his war memoirs again for the umpteenth time. Even though I know all the stories having read the books many time they still make me laugh whilst other parts really bring home the futility and waste of war.

The word memoirs for Spikes writing about his Army days in St Leonards, Africa and Italy isn't truly correct. Admittedly he served in those places but don't believe all you read in the books though. My father, who is mentioned in "Rommel Gunner Who" always told us that Spike had a wonderful imagination, but most of the stories are just that. Loosely based on fact.

But they are hilariously funny and I always enjoy reading them.

Now that Spike has gone , the question is "what are we gonna do now?"

Thankyou Spike .

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Goodbye Eccles, Rest in Peace

[ 28 February 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

poledark:

Now that Spike has gone , the question is "what are we gonna do now?"

Thankyou Spike .

Den

Spot On Poledark, nearly all the good comics have gone now, its all this alternative crap now, if you dont F this or F that your not a comic, Bring

back The Goons & the Navy lark,Thank you Spike for many years of laughter :D:D:D

david

Due to some of my previous employers, I`ve met Spike quite a few times. No. I`m not claiming to be a bossom buddie of his.

But during a spell working for MIND ( the mental health charity) I did have a tad of contact with both him and his familly.

I think Excalibur hit the nail on the head? Tortured soul. Manic Depression is a condition that has destroyed many a person less strong than Spike.

I`ve seen him weave a spell around senior executives in the canteen, only to glimpse him later as a very sad, depressed individual with no aim in life.

His comic genius will be fondly remembered by all of us that witnessed it on radio, tv or on the printed page?

But let`s be grateful that he died an old man, with his familly around him. 83 isn`t too bad a score?

How many people remember other sufferers of MD who took their lives whilst in their prime. Or were killed in tragic circumstances.

I.E. The greatest composer that has ever lived and a comic genius equal to Spike?

I can say this from the heart, as I have to take the pills every day. And dread the wife being informed of some of the irresponsible acts I`ve got up to.

:o Paul. :o

We don`t use J`s anymore!!