Advice on making quill floats

philocalist

I've little doubt that someone on here will be able to enlighten me with the answers to a couple of questions. :)

1/ What sort of quills would you use for preference, and why? I've a small stash of porcupine quills somewhere, alongside bunches of very large (complete) feathers from geese and swans. I may be able to get (legitimate) easy access to feathers from a large variety of aquatic birds if I make the effort: are the feathers of any type of bird likely to be more suitable / desirable?

2/ Making the actual floats: is there on online how-to that anyone is aware of, and can link to please, or for that matter, is anyone on here experienced enough to be able to offer accurate advice (including how to properly strip the feathers to leave only the quills)?

Thanks! :)

goose ,swan ,hooded crow ,phessant tail & cormorant ,all good feathers to make quill floats from .tail feathers and large wing feathers best ,goose (white) are better than canadian goose feathers .e-bay is a good sourse but they're free from nature reserves etc you go for a walk and pick up what you need .

stripping the hurl (feathery bit) away theres verious methods you could employ

tearing the hurl away

tearingtheherl.jpg

take a firm grip of the hurl at the tip of the feather and with one quick pull ,the hurl should split from the stem ,with practice this is a quick method but it is frought with danger your tearing away the outer shief of membrane ,and if your not carefull you'll rip it past the downy bit at the base and ruin the stem.get some pidgeon feathers to practice on first.

slash away

slicing3.jpg

using a craft knife start with the blade at the bottom of the hurl (where the downy bits of fluffy feathers are) with the end of the blade up against the hurl ,then in one movement push the blade forwards and acroos in a continous slash away from you cutting the hurl as low as you can ,this will leave a stubble ,which will scrub of with wet & dry.

sanding2.jpg

try to pick out the straitest feathers

checkingitout.jpg

( thats me eying up a cormorant quill ,i turned into a float ,i let someone have a go with and they flung it up a bush)

if your not responsable enough to use a sharp knife then craft sissors will do .

or if you prefer theres always the immac method ,were you cover the hurl with immac hair removal cream and wait for it too fall out .

i did have a how to guide on floatmaking on a yuku site i had but for some reason i lost it ,(I think i may of deleted the wrong forum section when doing trimming some unnecessary sections) and i wasn't 100% happy with it ,but i've had a quick look & i have it or rather part of it ,i might do it again with better pictures etc sometime this year might even add video's ,but its a very complex subject .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Phil, I will help as much as I can mate.

Any quill can be made into floats, and that's both ways up.

To clean a quill use scissors to remove as much feather as possible then use wet and dry to finish off, rub as little as possible but remove the gloss as this will help varnish/paint to adhere.

To straighten the quill use very gentle heat, I use the handle of an old type smooth school stainless steel knife.which I have warmed over a flame. Pull the quill over the handle with your thumb holding it fairly firmly and pull across a few times.

Once you have your prepared quills decide for what use you want to use them for. Big end up for river type stick floats so you will have to add a heavier wood stem or thin end up to use as a waggler. The smallest thinnest quills I use for crucian type fishing gradually getting bigger one to carry more weight.. If you want a quill to take a certain weight set it up and and test it and cut tiny bits off until its carrying just a little less weight to take account for any paint you apply, then dry thoroughly before painting.

To paint use a thinned white undercoat/basecoat let it dry then apply colour of choice.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

Philo,

Porcupine are coolest (IMO). They are "old school" natural, very light weight, already have a "finish" (in terms of not needing to be painted), used by the Injuns, and again, IMO, dance best in the water. You shouldn't paint porcupine quills - maybe seal sightly but you really want with them to have that natural look.

Not sure over there but they still are not real expensive in the US. (that is shorter than a foot)

Phone

Edited by Phone

african Porcupine (and maybe north american Porcupine) are protected species ,and only naturally shed quills can be sold ,so are in short supply .if you could get some thats a bonus .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve