Fishing Programmes, Past and Present

Steve Burke

For me fishing programmes have to either inform or entertain.

The one I've learned most from has been Thinking Tackle. Yes, some of it's repetitive (even Peggy who has to sometimes endure the last few minutes reckons that she can now knock up a spod mix or tie a PVA stick!) However there are few episodes that I fail to either learn something from or that get me thinking up new ideas.

As far as entertainment goes surely nothing beats the programmes that Hugh Miles has made. Catching the Impossible was excellent, but nothing for me beats Passion for Angling. In fact I'd be surprised if anything ever will.

What are your all-time favourites and why?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Hargreaves out of town for me. He had a knack of just talking to you as if you were in the shed with him.

I enjoyed Passion when it first came out but now find a lot of it irritating, in fact I would have preferred Catching the impossible had it had a different presenter. You can only listen to Martin Bowler grunt so many times.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I agree, I don't think anything will ever beat PFA, and I still want to know where the secret lake is!!!

I really enjoyed the early Go Fishing series too, the low budget ones, mainly filmed on JW's local waters. I learnt a lot from them as a younger and novice angler. Lost interest somewhat when he started travelling the world, seemed to lose a lot of its charm to me.

Catching the impossible just didn't hit the spot for me, some great photography, let down by the presenter. Preferred caught in time, which I thought was going to become a full series but only ever saw one episode!

Hate to admit it, it's a guilty secret but I really enjoyed The great rod race and the greater rod race, although I did watch it more for Mick Brown than Matt Hayes!

Also really enjoyed The compleat Angler With Geoffrey Palmer - nice photography and a nice laid back presenting style that matched the pace of the fishing!

Mat

Mat

APFA for me too, I can watch it over and over again. It captures the essence of angling and everything I enjoy about it which is not necessarily just the fish, in fact I think its better for not having a big fish purpose. They go to places where monsters lurk and on occasions do catch them but if they dont the series doesnt suffer in my opinion. Nothing has matched it so far and I doubt anything will, I understand the series was a financial disaster for Hugh Miles.

On a cold miserable day put on the Childhood Dreams episode for instant lifted spirits.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

There was a programme called Secret Lake a while ago which was very good with a lot of tension. It was only one episode

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

There was a programme called Secret Lake a while ago which was very good with a lot of tension. It was only one episode

I almost mentioned that as until Passion for Angling came along it was my favourite atmospheric one. It starred Andy Orme, who if I recall had a dream about catching a big carp, and then duly did. Somewhere I think I've got it recorded, perhaps on a video.

Anyone else remember it?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I remember getting a letter published in Angling Times many, many years ago, which I felt obliged to write praising The Secret Lake. Funnily enough, when it was repeated years later it didn't seem to have the same magic.

I've been trying to remember a program on Channel 4, which was a real mixed bag of fishing interludes. Parts of it were really irritating and many people didn't like it at all, but I have a feeling that it might now be looked upon a little more kindly.

One on its sections featured Neville Fickling and Dave Moore fishing on the Middle Level for zander. They were there for two days and absolutely nothing happened whatsoever. Another segment featured mullet fishing at a sewage outfall. One of the least liked set pieces was the appearance of a be-tweeded old duffer, who I assume was attempting to take off Terry Thomas.

I'm sure that the production company is still producing programmes for Channel 4, because their style of punctuating scenes with graphis is very distinctive. Could the programme possibly have been called Strike, or is that another that has been lost in the mists of time?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Geoffrey Palmer & Rae Borras come over well in The Complete Angler, well worth an annual watch. The ever droll GP asks perceptive questions, we meet some good anglers and it's entertaining. Andy Nicholson's The Primeval Pike deserves an airing every few years. Maybe not incredibly entertaining but it does contain some sound advice.

I remember getting a letter published in Angling Times many, many years ago, which I felt obliged to write praising The Secret Lake. Funnily enough, when it was repeated years later it didn't seem to have the same magic.

I've been trying to remember a program on Channel 4, which was a real mixed bag of fishing interludes. Parts of it were really irritating and many people didn't like it at all, but I have a feeling that it might now be looked upon a little more kindly.

One on its sections featured Neville Fickling and Dave Moore fishing on the Middle Level for zander. They were there for two days and absolutely nothing happened whatsoever. Another segment featured mullet fishing at a sewage outfall. One of the least liked set pieces was the appearance of a be-tweeded old duffer, who I assume was attempting to take off Terry Thomas.

I'm sure that the production company is still producing programmes for Channel 4, because their style of punctuating scenes with graphis is very distinctive. Could the programme possibly have been called Strike, or is that another that has been lost in the mists of time?

Was that Screaming Reels

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Was it Screaming Reels presented by Nick Fisher? That certainly had a wacky presentation! It was the first programme I ever appeared in, around the early/mid 90s, when I fished for perch on a gravel pit. The other main part of that particular programme was boat fishing for bass near the forts in the Thames Estuary.

Edit note: Crossposted with WNB as I had to answer a phone call.

Edited by Steve Burke