Johns web site is www.johnwaters.tv/index.html

Give John a ring.

Keith (Bold Bear)

Thanks Keith, appreciated!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to angling programmes. I realize the constraints that trying to catch for the camera, within a limited time scale, puts on the makers, but they often look too 'staged' to me.

I'll watch anything, but rarely feel informed, or entertained.

One I'd like to see again, (just to see if it was as I remember), is one made back in the 60s. Dick Walker, Fred J Taylor, and I think Peter Stone, plus another half dozen or so anglers, each took a kid from inner London on a match. Many of these kids had never seen 'countryside', a live animal (other than pets), so angling was completely new to them. The idea was the angler set them up, and had to catch a fish, then so did the youngster, alternately, but only the youngsters fish counted. I remember Dick Walker fished for gudgeon in the edge, but fed a shoal of dace for the kid. I think Fred J and his 'apprentice', (a girl if I remember) won with a pike of about 6lb. I can't remember what it was called, but I think it was the novelty that appealed to me.

Any other 'oldies' remember it?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

' (a girl if I remember) won with a pike of about 6lb. I can't remember what it was called . . . . . . . . .

Had the questionable fad for giving carp pet names spread to piking back then?

You should know, you were around then Peter. :bleh:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks to those who remembered the title of Screaming Reels. Now I'm wondering what Strike was. Was it that horribly contrived match fishing series?

I don't think anybody has mentioned The Fishing Race - so there, I've mentioned it.

I thought Catching The Impossible was kind of okay, but I rarely want to watch it again, whereas Passion For Angling stands the test of time. Chris Yates annoyed me at times and nobody now likes to mention B*b J**mes, but I've actually become rather fond of Bernard Cribbins' softly spoken commentary.

I'll admit to enjoying one or two of Robson Green's programme's, but mostly I'm appalled at the primitive attitudes of some of the contributors and of the appalling treatment dished out to the fish.

River Monsters is much better because it manages to be completely original. I've kept my recording of the fascinating one about giant freshwater eels.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.