Fishing Programmes, Past and Present

Steve Burke

One of my favorites was Day Ticket.

Rich and Trev, two everyday joes out on the bank enjoying themselves. Very entertaining pair who should of been offered a second series.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The complete angler is one of my favs and I rather enjoyed Catching the Impossible but oddly never rated A Passion For Angling, I always found it rather contrived but still watchable and a cut above most productions. I never really understood why so many people rate it so highly and in my mind it more shows the low quality of most angling programs rather then brilliance of APFA.

To be honest I will watch any old rubbish about fishing and the only shows that I avoid like the plague are Bob Nudd's Right Angle one of the dullest TV programs ever made and the even worse Fishing Guru's. Even Right Angle deserves a BAFTA when put up against the truly awful piece of garbage that is Fishing Gurus. Both these programs show how to get a "teaching" show wrong but maybe they might appeal to match anglers.

I tend to watch fishing programs just as pure out and out entertainment, I neither expect them to be authentic, replicate "real fishing" or teach me anything. So I even enjoy old Robson's travels around the world. However he is no Cyril Chauquet (Fishing Adventurer) and his shows are probably my all time favourite.

I enjoy the output of all these for want of a better phrase "fishing adventurers" Cyril Chauquet, Zeb Hogan, Jeremy Wade, Jakub Vagner. They may over egg the danger element in there shows but I enjoy watching fishing so different to my own. So I search out overseas fishing shows more then domestic ones, why watch some one else catch a Tench or Roach when I can do it myself. Well that's not 100% true as I said will watch any old angling tosh that is not Fishing Guru's or Right Angle. Not only will you never get back the time wasted watching them shows, I am convinced just seeing them will shorten your life.

Plus another vote for Day Ticket.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

There was a programme called Secret Lake a while ago which was very good with a lot of tension. It was only one episode

This film (‘Secret Lake’) was made in 1987 by John Waters and was his very first film taken on a second hand 16mm Bolex camera.

Many people warned him that a one-off half hour film with nonarration would be impossible to sell, however Channel 4 did buy it - and screened it to an audience of 2.25 million.

It featured Andy Orme fishing a peaceful remote lake full of lilly pads throughout a whole day.. It had no dialogue, only atmospheric music and the natural sounds around the lake but was full of footage of the wild life in and around the lake with some excellent underwater shots of various fish, and also his bait and loosefeed settlng on the bottom, and a Carp homing in on his bait; and a Pike hunting a duckling; and an Owl circulating in the sky diving after rodents; and a grass snake swimming on the surface looking for prey etc. etc.

I got John Waters to sell me a copy of the film on CD a few years ago and I still occasionally watch it. Up until Hugh Miles made his ‘Passion for angling’ film this was one of the best anglng films I had seen.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Another vote here for APFA - the Midwinter Madness episode stands out for me...(wonder why! :rolleyes: )

Also liked Palmer and Borras in the Compleat Angler series. Surprised no one has mentioned Jack Hargreaves in Out of Town - used to love it as a kid - always wished that angling would take up the whole show rather than half of it though!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

'Secret Lake' sounds right up my street, but was completely unknown to me until this thread - anyone have any idea whether a re-run is imminent, or where I might find a copy, online or otherwise?

Meanwhile, just found a copy on Youtube, split into 2 parts, total just 17 mins +, and not brilliant quality - can anyone do better?

A couple more that are worth getting hold of - though I don't think either were ever broadcast are Caught in Time - Hugn Miles with Chris Yates - similar production values to APFA right down to Cribbins narration. And Four Seasons on the Hampshire Avon by Paul Witcher.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

One of my favourites was a show that only had one series and was mostly sea fishing, it was called "Reel Wars". It was purely for entertainment rather than information but I really liked the idea of it. Don't know if many have seen it? I also don't mind any of Henry Gilbey's shows for sea fishing, a bit of light entertainment.

I saw a few of the 'Day Ticket' episodes and have agree with the few that have mentioned it that it was not half bad, quite a relaxed informal show. Screaming reels was a bit of fun, a bit quirky at times but overall a good watch.

My pet peeve is any of the shows when they go abroad for big game fishing and the likes. It doesn't interest me at all personally. I'd much rather watch shows about fishing that I can do myself, so I can relate to it. As I said though, that's just personal preference.

Started coarse fishing February last year, species so far:

Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch, Carp, Gudgeon, Eel, Crucian and a Goldfish.

'Secret Lake' sounds right up my street, but was completely unknown to me until this thread - anyone have any idea whether a re-run is imminent, or where I might find a copy, online or otherwise?

Meanwhile, just found a copy on Youtube, split into 2 parts, total just 17 mins +, and not brilliant quality - can anyone do better?

Phone John Waters on +44(0) 1749 870715

or email him on John waters@uwclub.net

Johns web site is www.johnwaters.tv/index.html

Give John a ring.

Keith (Bold Bear)

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

yes screaming reels was designed to be a bit wacky and appeal to a younger audience, my uncle (RIP) hated it but he was old school. i remember the one with steve in it fishing for perch. i liked it a lot

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/