saving web photos, help needed

Richard Harvey

I'm using a new PC with 'Windows XP Home'.

When using AOL Explorer and i try to right click and 'save as ' to 'my pictures' on a web picture / photo it appears in ' my pictures' as a icon with a sailboat/sunset. When you try to open it by clicking on it it says 'No Preview Available' ? It seems to have saved it as a jpeg but won't display it? I have noticed that on AOL Explorer when i right click and save as it says 'say as 'ART' or 'BITMAP'.

If i use Microsoft explorer on the same PC it saves photos to 'my pictures' and they can be viewed ok and on right clicking a photo gives me the optinion of saving as JPEG or BITMAP.

I can save and access digi photos from my cam ok to 'my pictures'.

Any thoughts as to why when saving photos whilst on AOL i can't view them once saved?

It's probably a simple setting that needs changing somewhere, any advice welcomed thank you.

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Have you tried the copy and paste option?

Don't know anything about AOL. Is it possible your stuff is stored in an account with them and this account is full up?

[ 09. November 2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Hi

In AOL there is a setting that needs to be changed. AOL try's to be smart my compressing JPEG images even more within it's browser, as a result JPEG images look "awfull".

If you click on: 'Settings'

Select: 'Preferences'

Select: 'Internet Properties(WWW)'

Click on: 'Web Graphics'

Select the Option: 'Never Compress Graphics'

Shutdown AOL and the restart it - it should be fine now.

This compression by AOL is virtually "No Use" at all and just causes major problems. Compare an AOL downloaded image to a normal Internet Explorer one and the results are easy to see.

Another example of AOL trying to change the web crazily just to suit itself, no wonder they are having business problems !!!

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Thank you, i have changed that setting and now it seems i can save and view web pics on AOL, i have done a few test saves and they work, but the few pictures i saved before still won't open , they must still be compressed? Not to worry they were only test saves , Thanks once again. :)

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Take a look Here

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

I'm new on XP and AOL, i had expected a few clitchs from what others have said but this was my first to date.

I went with AOL because of two Plus points ( for me ). First i can connect from most UK phone lines without occuring charges to the line owners and second i don't get cut off every two hours.

I was on Freeserve 'Anytime' but that was fixed to one phoneline and cuts you off every two hours and i found it was getting slower and slower.

These are dial-up connections.

So touch wood there won't be many more problems :D , watch this space as they say !

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Hopefully things will be smooth for you from here on out.

I do understand from reading that AOL in the UK is a lot better option than it is here.

I have a screamingly funny AOL sound clip I'd be happy to send to any who want a laugh. No place I can locate it on the internet right now and I don't have any web space but it isn't too large and email would work fine. If interested, send me a post at nvail@ctc.net and I'll return you a copy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President