Favourite UK River?

Steve Burke

I'm getting nostalgic as I haven't fished a river for some time.

If you could have a trip to any UK river which would you choose and why?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Have to confess, would only do this if I could guarantee the river was still as it used to be: I'd rather remember it that way :-)

For me, it would be a very small river in Scotland, the Eye ... as a kid, used to fish it all summer long - the runs of sea-trout and salmon on what was little more than a stream were phenomenal ... never mattered whether we caught or not ... most often the latter ... just to see these fish swimming through what at the time was in effect a natural aquarium was unbelievable, and something I've never tired of.

In hind-sight I realise that much of the magic was being there with my dad, God rest his soul :-(

I've often passed by, or over it since,and NEVER stopped to look in ... though to this day, rivers are still my number one venue of choice by a country mile, totally regardless of what I may or may not catch ... or how many 'commercials' I pass to get there!

Edited by philocalist
  • Like 1

The Trent, if nobody else was allowed to fish it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I've been fortunate enough to fish many rivers but there are quite a few I'd like to fish at some point - the loddon, the kennet, the Avon all spring to mind, and there are loads further north that I have have pretty much no knowledge of at all, such as the ribble and Trent.

But honestly, the one river I'd choose over all of them is the one that's closest to me and the one I now fish the most, and that's the Thames. It has a good variety of species and wildlife, some very big fish, and most importantly, is very much under fished and quiet. Several of my PBs are now from the Thames, and I know I've barely scratched the surface.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I would like to go back to the Severn, at the house my uncle and aunt used to own in Coalbrookdale, which had private fishing at the bottom of the garden.

I think this may have been the last time I ever fished there, with a friend from school - if possible, I would also like to be 17 again!

severn1.jpg

severn2.jpg

severn3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

I'm getting nostalgic as I haven't fished a river for some time.

If you could have a trip to any UK river which would you choose and why?

I would probably choose a nice stretch of the river Wye; I haven't fished it before but I cross over it quite often whenever I stay near Hereford and It looks really superb.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Brilliant pics Steve, do you want the 28" waist to go with the 17 years? I certainly do.

My first blog entry is dated 16th November 2009 so I've only been fishing the Kennet for just over three years but in that time it has completely captivated me. I've fished other rivers, the Itchen, the Frome, the Eden & the Thames and whilst all hold much larger examples of particular species none offer the variety of species or the idyllic locations that 'my' river has. To be honest my Kennet achievements have been modest, my PB chub has come from the Thames and my best perch from the K&A Canal so it isn't the fish that keep me going back. It's the fact that whatever method I want to use or whatever species I'm targeting the Kennet can accommodate me, that might be pitched up in a weirpool or wading shallows, whatever it is I can go somewhere for the price of two club books. History plays a part too I think, I've missed the Kennet in its prime and I sort of hope that one day it'll again make a 2lb roach available to me, might be a few years away that.

So, I can honestly say that if I could have a trip to any UK river it would still be to the Kennet, but it would be to a couple of estate game fisheries which hitherto have been out of bounds to coarse anglers.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thames for me ever since the first Perch submerged my bobber float long ago ...Kennet has it.s charms and has grown on me last few seasons but the Thames is the one that gets me excited in a schoolboy way the night before

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Absolutely - and ten stone on the scales!

Steve i used to fight at light weight then welter then middle.....metabolic rate is a bitch eh ?

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: