Favourite UK River?

Steve Burke

Guest 1lastcast

I can only comment on the Rivers I know and have fished, but as I only, well almost only fish Rivers, it is a intuiging question. I just don't know what is my favourite, perhaps the most bountiful would be the Wye, a glorious river that has everything going for it, but as of late it has become a little too expensive with the Wye and Usk foundation controlling most beats.

Then there is the mighty Severn, argueably the most challenging of all our Rivers, that is the Lower bit! But Sabrina has been kind to us this season and has provided some great Barbel especially catches, whereas just last season she was a good bet for a blank session, now you expect to catch, and I have caught up until January. But the Lower is a river that demands ittlle water craft but mainly strong gear.

And then there are the smaller Rivers such as the Teme and Arrow, the Teme was the Barbel river until the Otter that is blamed by many as to her decline in catches.I am not convinced the Otter is solely to blame, perhaps the popularity of the River might be a cause.

The Arrow that rises just south of Birmingham and meanders to meet the Warwickshire Avon near Evesham is proper Mr Crabtree stuff, and any true River angler would sell his wife to fish here, it has everything, it is my 'go to river' when need a lift.

But the one River that I don't fish now, but was born alongside in Bristol, the Avon, is the one that I would cherish above all others, purely sentimental I guess, as it was the River I used to fish as a lad, and inspired my love of fishing, She is in a slight decline too at the moment, but class is permanent and hopefully will recover soon, I have fished all along her 90 odd miles, from the upper reaches in the Cotswolds through beautiful Georgian Bath to the industrialised Bristol vastness, great memories.

The River Bure and its tributaries and Broads. I 'grew up' (as much as I'm gonna) on it. I'll never suss it all out but it's a childhood friend I'll never forget.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I have very fond memories of summer grilse fishing on Argyll's tiny river Euchar. Not big fish or big numbers of them, but in a small rocky fast flowing over grow river they could be electrifying and amazing scenery and wildlife to go with it.

But for a river i really want to go back to i would need to slip outside the UK. At some point I want to get back to Ireland and checkout some of the smaller rivers and tributaries probably of the Erne system. Trotting for roach off the beaten track.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

english channel :boat::yahoo:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I have very fond memories of summer grilse fishing on Argyll's tiny river Euchar. Not big fish or big numbers of them, but in a small rocky fast flowing over grow river they could be electrifying and amazing scenery and wildlife to go with it.

Yep, wonderful little river - with enough trout, seatrout and salmon for both anglers and otters.

Not easy, but would reward stealth and watercraft.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Come on then Steve, what's yours?

(You can't say the Little Stour, just because you can sit next to it and cast into the coarse lake... ;) )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The Thames of over fifty years ago was the first river I fished, a piece of flake, or crust for roach, while a worm from the garden would tempt perch, but more likely a daddy ruffe, or pope.

Later I discovered the river Colne ten miles above it's confluence at Staines, where with school friends, we would plunder the stocks of dace and roach, only for it to turn black one summer's day, as we watched fish after fish rise to the surface to drift off gasping. That pollution killed off the Colne for over a dozen years before it recovered, by which time I was married and living a mile from it's banks. The first fish to reappear were small roach and chublets, followed a few years later by shoals of dace. One day I was fishing alongside a road and a car stopped. The driver getting out, asked why I was fishing there, as there were no fish in it. I lifted my keepnet, which was boiling with dace. He got back in and drove off, returning an hour later with his rod.

The following ten years put the Colne as my number one river. After a hard match on the Thames, or Grand Union, I would often stop by to "get rid" of my bait, piling it in to bring on the chub and often barbel to my stick floated maggot. The Colne was a well kept secret for a long time, but as reports of it's barbel grew, so did it's decline in my eyes, as PVA pellet became the method on this shallow stream. On my last visit, I was asked why I was using the stickfloat, when I should be on the feeder, if I wanted to catch fish. I have no more visits planned.

Come on then Steve, what's yours?

(You can't say the Little Stour, just because you can sit next to it and cast into the coarse lake... ;) )

Unfortunately my favourite river, the Kentish Beult, is a shadow of its former self.

I have fond memories of even smaller streams, some of which you can jump across in many places. I find these not only great fun to fish but a very good place to quickly learn watercraft.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net