Favourite UK River?

Steve Burke

Steve i used to fight at light weight then welter then middle.....metabolic rate is a bitch eh ?

OTOH, talking of boxing, when I was a teenager I wanted to be HEAVIER. I was a useless boxer, but I always wanted to get points for my house, and when I was 15 I reckoned if I could get over twelve and a half stone there would only be one other guy in the weight class, and he was even worse than me. And it was also essential, cos in the weight class 12 to 12.7 there was a very tough strong bloke, 3 years older than me, who I definitely wanted to avoid. So, on the basis that a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter, before the weigh-in I drank and drank and drank - just water, you understand - and I was confident I'd be over 12.7. Alas, I was 12 stone 1 pound! I had drunk myself into the tough bloke's group. He knocked me out virtually first punch!

As for rivers. Well it would be easier to answer 'If there was one river you could never fish again, which would you NOT want it to be?' The Kennet.

john clarke

The Wye (Steve B, fish it, it's bloody fantastic!), the Teme and the Lugg....all three are otter infested waters with fantastic heads of coarse and game fish....obviously depending on the stretches that you choose to fish. The Severn is also a good river as Steve W mentions...obviously, as long as there aren't seals eating all of the fish or tree-huggers bashing all of the anglers....I've had some good days on the Warwickshire Avon too, not to mention some of the Wye tributaries....

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

If you could have a trip to any UK river which would you choose and why?

I would choose the Tweed, and fish it for the big roach that are said to be there.

Not having fished the Tweed before (one of the reasons for choosing it) a lot of planning and research would be necessary - which extends the enjoyment beyond the actual trip itself.

Perhaps I should do it for real !! :o - anyone have any info on :

1/ Pernits and allowed access for coarse fishing ? It's primarily a game river, so this might be difficult.

2/ Roach location (ie where they have been caught from in the past) on this river ?

pm me if necessary :fishing1:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

For me now a Kent Man from London, it is the Beult, just for the fact you know no other person is ever going to be here. :)

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I'm getting nostalgic as I haven't fished a river for some time.

If you could have a trip to any UK river which would you choose and why?

The River Gipping - I love shopping Trolleys and am very good at blanking!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

For me it has to be my local river the Tees, I spend more time on it thans good for me but its hard to describe how good it is and how different in its natural beauty and unspoilt banks with the localised urban sprawl of industrialised/urban Teesside, magic river and I have the Swale Ure and Wear within easy travelling distance too but the Tees wins hands down

Love the Kennet - fished it as a fluff chucker before I came back to coarse fishing and its a river that offers such a wide diversity of fishing in a beautiful valley. Like Rusty, I rue the fact that I missed out on its heyday - but its still fantastic. I also have a real soft spot for the Hampshire Avon again as a fly-fisher on the Salisbury beats but also the Piscatorial's, and as a coarse fisherman for the same reason - its variety is staggering and its not totally spoilt like the Test. The Thames is a river I'm starting to grow to love, but is a real challenge for me to be consistent. The Wye is also truly beautiful, but I don't get to fish it often enough.

Actually when you think about, it we are truly blessed in this country because we do have some wonderful stretches of moving water

Too many rivers too little time!

M

For me it has to be my local river the Tees, I spend more time on it thans good for me but its hard to describe how good it is and how different in its natural beauty and unspoilt banks with the localised urban sprawl of industrialised/urban Teesside, magic river and I have the Swale Ure and Wear within easy travelling distance too but the Tees wins hands down

You've mentioned a couple of mine Brian, the Swale and the Ure.

My choice has changed over the years as the nature of the rivers have changed with time. I loved the Nidd, because of the good barbel and chub, The Wharfe because of the wonderful dace fishing in my youth. The Ouse because of it's size and an element of the 'unknown'. The Yorkshire Derwent because it was an enigma, looking so 'fishy', but very hard to get to know, and distance made regular trips impossible. But my choice has to be between the Swale and the Ure. I've fished the Swale from Catterick down to Myton and had good mixed catches all along the length, The middle to lower reaches have been particularly good to me. If I had to choose just one river to fish for the rest of my life through, it would have to be the Ure. From Middleham to the invisible junction with the Ouse, it has the most varied types of swims and species. You can trot fast shallow swims for grayling, dace, chub barbel, or, just a short distance away fish deep slow sections for perch, roach, bream and any other species that inhabits the river, as a surprise. It has some great pike fishing, and the occasional run of salmon. Although not the easiest river for me to get to, IMO it has it all, and worth the travelling. (when I get the rare opportunity).

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The Thames at Teddington. From the station walk down Ferry Road and over the footbridge turn right upstream on the Surrey side. Went in the 50's with friends and sat there all day catching small roach, perch, eels and pope. Lunchtime we had a swim in the river then went back to fishing. Little did I know that 20 years later I would live not a quater mile from there and not get to fish it again.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not