cane and pin

stargazer

hello all are there any traditional tackle users out there i am based in the north essex/suffolk area i used to use modern tackle but i lost interest i was a field tester for a bait company and fished for carp 4/5 times a week.

to tell the truth it got boring and i lost interest then i picked up a cane rod and restored it and tried it out with a centre pin and HELLO what fun.

now i spend my time wandering river banks with traditional tackle and i feel like a kid again.

i wonder is there any one that wants to meet up and fish in my area two of us using traditional tackle sounds like fun ,time for the kelly kettle, yes i do have one.

kindest regards

terry

Hi Terry and welcome.

We certainly do have some members who prefer the old style gear and quite a few who like to use it on occasion.

I imagine the coarse section is where you will find the most kindred spirits.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hello all are there any traditional tackle users out there i am based in the north essex/suffolk area i used to use modern tackle but i lost interest i was a field tester for a bait company and fished for carp 4/5 times a week.

to tell the truth it got boring and i lost interest then i picked up a cane rod and restored it and tried it out with a centre pin and HELLO what fun.

now i spend my time wandering river banks with traditional tackle and i feel like a kid again.

i wonder is there any one that wants to meet up and fish in my area two of us using traditional tackle sounds like fun ,time for the kelly kettle, yes i do have one.

kindest regards

terry

Hi Stargazer,

Welcome to the site.

I also spent quite a few years chasing big Carp around the country and got a bit bored of spending night after night after big fish scanning the water for fish with my Bins and dozing next to my rod-pods and buzzers; and spending all my remaining spare time developing rigs and baits at home.

My roots have always been in more active fishing and wandering the smaller rivers & streams in the evenings after Barbel or fishing for Tench or Crucians at first light on a quiet estate lake is pure magic to me. Although I usually use modern rods & reels; I occassionaly get my split cane MKIV Avon and Centrepin out and still think it's really enjoyable to use traditional tackle. I still believe that the Pin can't be beaten for the control it gives when long-trotting.

Unfortunately I don't live close to you otherwise we could have had the odd day on an estate lake after Tench & Crucians or on the Upper Lea after Barbel and Chub.

There are quite a few of us on this site who like this sort of fishing so I am sure you will feel quite at home. I look forward to reading your posts. BB. leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)