Travel trotting rods

Babelfish

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a travel rod to put in the boot of the car to cover some light trotting work on the Itchen/Test to go after Grayling and which will also double up to use for float fishing a still water in the summer for Crucian Carp.

This is for those "I wish I had a rod in the car" moments, so please don't advise I buy a 2 or 3 piece rod as I already do.

There are two rods that I have found that look upto the job, but no reviews.

1. JW Youngs 13ft 5pc 2-4lb line (£60)

2. Greys Prodigy TX Rova 2-6lb line (£120)

Links to each rod:

1. http://www.tackle2u.com/rods/float-rods/jw-young-sons-13ft-5-piece-trotter-travel-rod/flypage.tpl.html

2. http://www.tackletradingpost.co.uk/greys-prodigy-tx-12ft-rova-float-rod-4746-p.asp

If you have either of these rods, I would be interested to hear:

1. Your thoughts on the rod (Good & Bad)

2. What reel you use with it (Centerpin or Fixed Spool)

I've got the Youngs rod, had it for maybe a couple of years now and very happy with it - so far nothing at all to complain about, and it performs well. Mine mostly gets used with pins, or occasionally and ABU 506 or other small fixed spool, and the rod works well with all of them.

The only caution that I would make is that if you are thinking about using the rod with an older centrepin (with the old-fashioned 'full' foot still unmodified) it is unlikely to fit the reel seat, but I suspect this would likely apply to any modern rod that did not have the sliding aluminium ring type fittings.

The rod is VERY well finished, almost to the point of being a bit 'tarty', blanks are a very rich deep burgundy colour: overall it works very well, and the cork butt is of a very good quality ... the Greys rod is very understated in comparison from what I can see from the pictures, which may suit some people better?

The rod is supplied in a typical sleeve, within a dedicated Youngs Rod tube, which works well and DOES do a decent job of protecting the rod if it's bouncing about in the boot of your car :-)

Never having used or even seen the Greys rod, I really can't believe that it's worth twice the price of the Youngs under any circumstances.

• Like 1

Guest bbamboo

Hi Mate

I have one of the Youngs Travel trotters they are very good the action is near perfect. The rod has backbone with a very quick snappy tip, they are not the lightest rods but i would highly recommended them for grayling trotting. Work well with sticks, avons and big chubber floats.

Go for it

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Phil. What do you fish for with your JW Youngs 13ft 5pc? I'm hoping that if the JW Young rod hooked into anything bigger than 5lb it would be a struggle to control it.

Not too fussy ... anything daft enough to take the bait! :D

On a lightly more serious note, I'm usually simply fishing for bites, rather than targeting any given species - the usual suspects tending to be mostly dace, chub up to maybe 3lbs or so, grayling, perch, and anything else similar that wants to join the party! I've no particular worries about something a bit bigger putting in an appearance - it's a very nice actioned rod, and I fish it with a well balanced set-up, primarily in swims where I've no need to stop lumps heading for roots etc on the far bank.

For what it's worth, I've a feeling that the 5-piece travel version may no longer be available from Youngs (it's vanished off their site, along with a couple of others), so it may be prudent to grab one quickly from somewhere that has stock ... I'll also mention that without exception, Youngs after service has been brilliant (nothing to do with the rod, I'll hasten to add! :D

Thanks Phil & other posters,

I have bought the Youngs travel rod, I couldn't find any other info on the Greys and with the great reviews from you and others and half the price of the Greys the Youngs rod was the only choice!

I'm hoping that a nice 2lb Grayling or a 3lb Crucian will put a healthy bend into this rod.

Thanks for your help & guidance.

Cheers

Ben

shakespeare do a 4 piece travel mac1 xt 13ft float rod ,that'll make a good trotting rod and they're half price right now

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/products/Shakespeare-Mach-1-XT-13ft-Travel-Rod.html

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve